Chapter 25:waiting room

Mai's pov

Waiting to hear about wether Sasuke was okay or not was purely agonizing. Every moment felt like an eternity as I paced back and forth in the waiting room. My nails were bitten down to the buds and raw, so my teeth moved on to the surrounding skin due to my immense anxiety.

Naruto and Sakura were also worried and asking me thousands of questions about what happened, but I was unable to speak and grew annoyed at their prying. I know I shouldn't, they care about him too, but it's too hard for me to focus on anything other than if Sasuke is dead or alive.

"Hey, Mai." I faintly heard Kakashi Sensei's voice, however my mind right now was to distracted to listen.

A pair of hands gripped at my shoulders as I was shook vigorously by my sensei, and the abrupt movement snapped me back to reality.

"I know that you're worried," he spoke softly as he retreated his hands off from my shoulders. "But, you have to explain to me what happened."

He's right. I was the only person to actually witness the horrific moment when Orochimaru spit out a whole new face with a long body attached to it. I saw with my own eyes how it's sharp dagger like teeth sunk into Sasuke's neck, causing him intense pain.

I let out a heavy sigh, "We walked out of the village to look at the clouds. Then, this weird Orochimaru guy said he wanted to give Sasuke power. He tried to convince him to leave, and then he attacked. A weird black tattoo thing appeared on his neck and he was screaming with pain. I did everything I could to bring him here so he would be okay."

Kakashi widened his eyes which made me panic even more. Does he know who Orochimaru is? Does he know anything about the mark on Sasuke's neck?

"What's wrong, Kakashi Sensei?" Sakura questioned, taking the words right from my mute mouth.

"Nothing. He will be okay, you did great Mai." Kakashi reassured, but I wasn't convinced. He knows something and he isn't telling us. Is it dangerous? Can the mark not be taken away? Will it kill Sasuke? No! Don't think that way. He will be alright.

I plopped down into a chair and started to unknowing bite my nails again. Out of the corner of my eye Kakashi quietly spoke to the front desk worker and then disappeared down the hall. What is he hiding?

Curiosity grew within me. "I have to use the bathroom." I lied to Sakura, but she just nodded with a worried expression for Sasuke glued to her face.

I stood up and walked the same way Kakashi did, keeping an eye out for doctors. I silently and slowly crept my way to a room, and through the window I saw Sensei standing in front of a bed conversing with a doctor. He shifted his weight and placed a hand on his hip, revealing Sasuke on the bed behind him.

My eyes instantly teared up and I brightened upon seeing his face again. He looked drained and dead inside, and that stung my heart. All I wanted to do was run inside and give him a hug, and to make sure he knows I won't ever leave his side.

Before I was able to hide, Kakashi Sensei flung the door open and raised an eyebrow at me like he knew I was here this entire time. I bit my lip, but I couldn't care less I was caught. The only thing I want to know is if Sasuke is going to be okay.

"Sneaking around are we?"

I crossed my arms. "Tell me what the mark is. Tell me Sasuke will live. And, let me inside to see him." The demand spurted from my mouth, and I shocked myself. However, I don't care if I'm rude to anyone right now.

"It's a curse mark placed there by Orochimaru to persuade Sasuke to join him," My heart started palpitating. "I am able to seal it, so, please don't worry."

Relief. That's all I felt from hearing those positive words. He will be okay. Sasuke won't die on me.

"Can I see him?" I pleaded.

Kakashi Sensei just plainly nodded, but desperation washed over me and I wasted no time in sprinting to the door and throwing it open.

A smile formed on my lips as my golden honey eyes finally saw Sasuke other than through a window. His dark eyes gazed at me, but it was like life was sucked out of him. Black eye bags were present, and he looked drained. I never took my smile off, and I slowly walked over to him as his eyes followed me.

I sat down in front of him on his hospital bed, grabbing his cold hand and holding it tightly. My other hand gently stroked his raven hair, a stray tear trailing down my face. Seeing him in this condition breaks me inside and out. I just remain smiling and comforting for him, though. He needs somebody right now.

"I'm here, Sasuke. You don't have to say anything. Just know I'm not going anywhere. I'll stick by your side forever."

His face softened and finally it was like a small bit of light filled him. His hand squeezed mine letting me know he was able to listen.

"You never have to worry about me leaving you. I wouldn't ever hurt you." I leaned my forehead on Sasuke's chest using the hand I was playing with his hair with to wrap it around his abdomen.

I heard the door creak open and footsteps fill the room, but I was too content in Sasuke's embrace to care about people seeing us like this.

"Sasuke... you're okay! I'm so glad you're okay!" Sakura loudly beamed.

"Yeah, you had us worried!" Naruto yelled.

I lifted my head up to meet his eyes. He was looking at Naruto and Sakura with a bothered glare, but once he returned to looking at me his eyes went softer. I don't blame him, screaming and yelling when you just woke up makes me annoyed too, but they were worried about Sasuke. Their his friends too.

"Sorry, Sasuke. It wouldn't be fair of me to hog you." I mumbled, releasing him from my grasp and walking over to Kakashi Sensei so that those two can talk with him.

"Are you going to seal it once he is discharged?" I queried, leaning onto the wall and putting my foot up against it while crossing my arms.

"Yes. I'm also going to talk with him about deflecting."

His statement confused me. "Why?" I asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Sasuke had a rough past. I'm worried that he will leave to get more power to kill his older brother. I assume you know about that."

I shook my head already knowing he wouldn't leave. "He has me. He has you, Sakura and Naruto. I don't believe he would chose vengeance over us."

"Still, I'm going to speak with him."

And with that, Kakashi left the room. Naruto and Sakura soon followed him, leaving Sasuke and I alone again.

"I can let you rest for a while." I warmly smiled, taking a step to walk out.

"Mai." Sasuke rasped, causing me to halt in place and gaze at him. "You can stay."

I walked over to his bed as he lied down, his onyx orbs starring at me. I ruffled the blankets making myself comfortable under them, placing my head sharing the pillow Sasuke was on. I titled to meet his eyes and smiled, gliding my fingers along his face; happy he was here right now and alive.

"I was worried I lost you." I lowly confessed.

His lips curved into a very faint smile, but it was there. "It's okay, Mai."

I closed my eyes contented, drifting off into a deep sleep with Sasuke by my side.

~

Vote !:)