Chapter 11

This chapter is dedicated to Fame_lanky for supporting this book since I first started. Thanks very much ❤️❤️

Chapter Eleven

CYNTHIA

My response is followed by astounding silence.

I stare down at my shoes, refusing to look at his face. Is he hurt? Annoyed? Or is he just surprised? I wonder what he must be thinking right now.

He removes his hand from my face and I can hear the shuffling of his feet, "You don't think I'm the one for you?" He asks, his voice uncertain.

I raise my head to look at him and I see that he is studying me carefully, a questioning look on his face and his eyes demanding an explanation.

How do I even begin to explain?

"John, I'm really sorry that I had to turn you down and I know you're confused by my response." He only watches me with a hurt expression, not saying anything. "I like you, I really do. You are nice, friendly and very cute. Most of our female classmates have a crush on you and some would even die to be in my position right now." He looks surprised at that statement and I smile.

Of course, he doesn't know all those lessons they are asking from him are just excuses to get closer to him.

"I feel lucky and even privileged that you like me and consider me worth having a relationship with but still, I just don't feel that connection with you. I honestly believe dating you will be a waste of time. I mean, we've known each other for two years and yet, I'm not in love with you. I don't want to waste our time."

My words are met with astounding silence. Did I say too much? I feel a pang of guilt within me and can't bear to look at him. How must he be feeling right now?

He surprises me by pulling me into a hug, "I understand." He murmurs into my hair and I start to breathe a sigh of relief until I realize what he just said.

What? He does?

I break out of his embrace and look at him with bewildered eyes, "You understand?"

"Yeah, I do. Your feelings aren't strong enough for me and you don't want to build a relationship on that so yeah, I understand. I only have to make you fall in love with me right? I only have to make you feel connected to me and get you convinced that I'm the one for you."

"And that's what I will do." He declares.

"From now on, I'm going to court you, Cynthia Williams." He announces with that cute, boyish, mischievous smile of his and I can only stare blankly at him.

Did he just say he is going to court me? And do I want that? For him to court me?

Grace's words suddenly rings in my ear; You can end up falling in love with someone that isn't your soulmate.

If that's true then can I end up falling in love with John even though I don't feel connected to him? Can his actions really make me fall for him? Grace said it's possible, so maybe I can really fall for him?

"I'll make you fall in love with me, Cynthia. Even if it takes years from now." He mutters silently, the words strangely sounding like a promise and honestly, it does nothing to sooth me.

Because what if I end up not falling in love with him?! Is he just going to keep trying? And he really just said years!

He smiles down at me and I return the smile. Only my smile isn't real at all, I'm actually weeping mentally.