Chapter 40

I know it's a pretty late update and I apologize.

I hope the length of the chapter makes up for my lateness.

Happy reading!!!

***

Chapter Forty

CYNTHIA

As soon as the driver announces that we've arrived, Sam practically jumps out of the car leaving me confused. Shrugging it off, I pick up our bags and also leave the car.

I walk into the house and see him coming out of the kitchen with an ice-cream and that's when I realize what the excitement is about. He was eager to eat the ice-cream he thought Grace had bought for him.

Nanny sees me looking at him and smiles, "I guess he hasn't forgotten about the ice-cream." She comments and I nod.

I flop on the couch, dropping our school bags beside me. Today has been so tiring but I'm also satisfied with how it had went.

Nanny comes to sit across from me and clears her throat. I know she is dying to ask me questions.

"How was school today?" She asks.

"It was fine. We've got the interest of the students."

"I know already." She waves it off. "Were you able to visit the chief?"

She looks really curious and I can't help being suspicious, "Yes, Nanny. My class-teacher and I visited him."

"Did you by chance see his son? The oldest one?" She asks enthusiastically and I raise an eyebrow.

"Why do you ask?"

"It's nothing." She replies with a small smile.

"Were you able to get his permission?" She asks with not so much enthusiasm and I nod.

"That's alright then." She answers and starts to stand.

"Nanny?"

"Hmm?" She replies absentmindedly.

"Is the chief's oldest son the person you were referring to when you said you used to know someone there?"

I know I shouldn't ask but I can't help my curiosity. And when she gives me a sad smile, I start to think that they might be more than acquaintances.

"Yes he is. We used to be in a relationship." She explains and I'm not so surprised.

"Why did you break up?" I ask then realize that I might be going too far. "It's okay, you don't have to answer." I add.

She chuckles, "That's nonsense." She replies, waving it off and then she sits again and sighs. "We broke up because of my parents. He was struggling to meet end meets and my parents were well-off, they never accepted our relationship."

"We both knew that but we were hopeful. The first time I told them about him, I was just twenty-three years old and of course, they refused outrightly. As an act of rebellion, I became your nanny because I know they will never allow it since they were rich people." She explains and then smiles at me.

"When I became your nanny, I refused to talk to them and continued to date him. For two years, we continued that way. I wasn't in contact with my parents but at least, I was together with the one I loved." She looks at me and her lips trembled.

"Then one day, he disappeared. His number wasn't reachable and he wasn't anywhere I know him to be usually. I was left devastated." She continues and I saw a tear fall from her eye.