Chapter 49

Chapter Forty Nine

CYNTHIA

"I don't believe in love, Cynthia. That fairytale part of me died a long time ago."

Those words suddenly appears in my mind, reminding me that if I end up falling in love with him, it won't be reciprocated.

But then I wave it off, knowing that even if he doesn't love me or won't love me, he is attracted to me. And that's a start.

It's not until Sam pulls one of my finger that I break eye contact from him.

I look down at Sam and see that he is trying to touch my hand, the one that is attached to the IV so I pull him back and sit him on the bed properly.

Grace is now seated next to me on the bed and Femi is standing beside her. Wole and Peter have taken stools to sit on, leaving Michael who is still standing and staring down at me, his hands in his pocket.

Now that I think of it, he is the only one who came empty handed into the room.

Where's his basket?

Grace squeezes my hand, diverting my attention and I give her a smile,

"Hope you're good?" She asks.

I nod, "How about you?"

"I'm good too. Aren't you curious to know what happened that day?" She asks and I glance up at Femi who is also looking at me.

"Yeah, that's true. How did I end up at the hospital?" I ask, turning to the others.

"After you left in a daze, we were having the discussion about what had happened at that party two years ago with Michael because we were not aware of it." Wole begins to explain.

I glance at Michael at the reminder that he isn't totally innocent for not telling me the truth about what had actually gone down at that party and he gives me a remorseful look.

Wole continues, "And then this guy came out of nowhere and said some guys took Grace and that you were already on your way to rescue her."

I look at him expectantly, waiting for him to continue.

"At first, we didn't want to believe him because we just saw the both of you leave the stadium and his story was doubtful. But he kept on insisting that you guys were in trouble so I urged the others to follow him and see if he was actually saying the truth." Femi adds.

"And I still get angry whenever I remember what we saw that day." Peter puts in and I look at him expectantly, waiting for him to elaborate. The subtle glare Michael throws at him when he speaks doesn't escape me. I know they are not always on good terms but I can't help wondering if something else has happened.

When Peter doesn't explain further, I turn to Femi who I know will be more than willing to go into details.

"What did you see?" I ask him and he tenses. His hands curling into fists.

"We saw both of you injured on the ground, covered in blood, surrounded by predatory looking guys who were doing nothing but just watching with a bored expression and those girls... God, those girls..." He trails off and face palms. I glance at Wole for confirmation and he also looks annoyed.

So they weren't worried that I could have died and they could have been held responsible? Were they going to leave me to bleed to death?

"How did I get involved with someone like Chika in the first place? I should have realised how much of a bitch she is." Femi continues bitterly. I'd have been amused by how annoyed he looks and the words he was uttering if it wasn't such a serious discussion.