Chapter 50

-April 2021-

Josh's POV:

"This is funny, who knew both of our labels would send us to New York?" I laughed. We were in her new apartment in New York, hanging out. AS friends.

"Yeah, it is." She forced a laugh, turning her phone off. 

"Wait, what's wrong?" I sat down on the couch with her.

"Nothing. Why?" She furrowed her eyebrows.

"Liv, I'm not the rest, I know something is out of place." I mentioned, moving to sit a little closer. "What is it?" I asked.

"Nothing! It's not like you would understand anyways. It's a girl problem." She shut it off harshly.

"I have five sisters, hit me." I insisted, but she wouldn't budge. "Are you scared of living without your parents? Are you disappointed about something? Do you have cramps? What is it?" I inquired. 

"It's not that simple. Just drop it." She retorted, looking away.

"You're not okay, though. How do you want me to pretend you are?" I debated.

"I didn't ask you to! I said to drop it!" She yelled at me. That took me by surprise.

"O- okay, I will." I answered, ever so quietly. We both sat still, without saying a word to each other. I wondered what she was hiding, while she brought her knees to her chest and hid her face in them. "Liv..." I got closer and wrapped my arms around her.

"Can you come back later? I just want to be alone right now." She sniffled.

"Alright, call me if you need anything. I'll drive back immediately." I hugged her a little tighter and kissed the top of her head. Oh, wait-

Oops-

The muscle memory of doing that when she was sad, just because she would always feel better when I kissed her head.

"Okay." She nodded, wiping her tears away. I think she didn't notice...

"Are you sure you want to be alone? I can be, like, in the kitchen in you want." I offered, but she shook her head. "Fine, but call me. I'm serious." I stood up. "And don't forget to lock the door." I noted, before I walked out. I went to my car and stayed there.

Olivia's POV:

If you asked me two years ago how I felt about people commenting on the way I looked, I'd be fine, and I wouldn't pay much attention to it. Why am I paying attention to that now?

Why are people so toxic and full of hate? I've done everything I could ever come up with to fit in. When drivers license became what it is now, a bunch of celebrities, even the people I look up to, and the people who I wish I was, reached out to me, and I realized they all had a spark I didn't feel. They all had a unique touch that made them special. I didn't have that, or at least, I felt like I didn't.

I've always been self-conscious about my body, and having so many people talking about me and the way I look all at once is exhausting. Specially, when the comments are mostly negative. That shouldn't get to me, but it does.

Something snapped me off my thoughts, so I went to check on the door, remembering Josh had told me to lock it. "Hey, beautiful. You didn't think I would leave that fast, did you?" Cameron smirked, closing the door behind him.

"Get out of here." I fumed, although I felt intimidated. What was he doing here?

"Wait, just hear me out." He snickered, walking towards me. I took a few small steps back, watching his every move. He pushed me against a wall, pinning me. 

"L- let m- me go." I trembled.

"Let me tell you a story first, it's really funny." He chuckled. I knew better than to try to escape.

"I- I do-don't care. Pl-please j-just lea-leave." I gulped, not knowing what was going to happen next. I was breathing heavily and shaking.

"We had love, Olivia. Remember?" He asked.

"T-that w-was nev-never love." I answered. I closed my eyes since I didn't want to see his face so close to mine.

Josh's POV:

I immediately rushed to the fifth floor to Liv's apartment. How did he know she was here? 

I shoved the door open and found his gross and dirty hands on her arms. "Don't you touch a single hair on her head!" I pushed him off her. I was about to beat him up but something stopped me. Liv fell into my arms, holding me tightly; She was terrified. "Get out of here before I call the police!" I hissed, taking my phone out of my pocket. 

"Alright, dude." He muttered. "You just got lucky this time." He walked out. I looked down at Liv who was shaking and crying. 

"Did he do something to you?" I asked, observing every little inch of her body, from her forehead to the tip of her toes. She shook her head and I let out a breathy 'good'. "You'll be alright, no one can hurt you now...Shhh, it's okay, baby. You're safe now, I won't let you go." I whispered, as she fell to the ground. I leaned against the wall and sat her in my lap. I pulled her as close to me as I could, caressing her head. "Listen to my heartbeat and focus on that. I'm not going to leave you, alright? You'll never have to suffer by yourself again." I rubbed her back softly. "But you have to understand this is New York. Anything can happen here." I explained. She nodded, whimpering. 

That whole night she cried on my lap. It was heartbreaking to see the person you love the most go through pain, any type of pain. I wished to take her pain away a couple thousand times throughout the night, until at 3:42 AM, she fell asleep. Her eyes were extremely puffy and her face looked tired, yet she still looked beautiful.

I picked her up and carried her to her room. We designed it together, painting the walls light purple with small black circles. I placed her on her bed and watched her move uncomfortably. "Can you please stay the night?" She faintly opened her eyes. "Please."

Could I say no? No.

"Alright." I smiled softly, sitting on her bed, leaning my back against the headboard. She placed her head on my lap and looked for my hand. A small blush rose up to my cheeks as she interlocked our fingers together. I used my other hand and ran it through her hair as she fell into deep sleep. Not long after, I fell asleep too. I missed this so much.

- · · · -

I felt a poke in my arm so I opened my eyes. "Joshy, I can't sleep. My mind has this scary capability of being dark and demented." She chattered. Oof, that nickname.

"Did you have a nightmare?" I chuckled, rubbing my eyes to see her better.

"Yes." She admitted.

"Come here." I beckoned, opening my arms. She snuggled on top of me, finding the spot we both felt comfortable at.

Olivia's POV:

There's something different about hugging someone who is taller because it makes you feel protected, but...

I knew I couldn't do this.