Chapter 64

-August 2021-

Olivia's POV:

"No, Olivia, this is a mistake." My dad lectured.

"But, it's not a mistake, it's an opportunity. I'm an adult, I can make my own choices now." I whined.

"Yes, but we are still your parents-" My mom started.

"It's basically the same thing, we're still dating. Dad, didn't you tell me the point of dating is to find the right person to live forever with? We're not married, but it's just some reliance that we will get married. If we just kept dating we would still be waiting to marry each other." I explained.

Josh was behind me, listening quietly to the phone call. He felt bad, really bad, although I tried to cheer him up a few times.

"I did say that, but you're 18! You can't get married, you're still a teen." He noted.

"But, I'm not getting married yet!" I argued.

"How would we know? You get engaged, then call us a week later? No." My mom declared.

"Just see things the way I am, we aren't married. That's not going to happen for a long time." I claimed.

"That's what you say now, who knows what you'll think tomorrow!" My dad exclaimed.

"But, plea-"

"No, Olivia. We are not changing our minds." My mom announced. I groaned in frustration, knowing there was no way I could get them to change.

"I, umm, just wanted to ap- apologize. This was my fault, I should've thought it through better." Josh crooned. 

"Mom, just please-" I tried to negotiate.

"You heard her the first time, we are not changing our minds, Olivia." My dad raised his voice.

"Well, I'm not changing my mind, either, and you don't have that type of power over me anymore!" I raged, not able to hold it in longer. I hung up before they could say anything else, and let a few tears escape.

"Was that really the best move?" Josh fretted, watching me slam my phone on the table.

"They never listen to me! It's always what they think it's good, but they don't let me talk about what I really want. It's always been like that. For example, with my piano lessons. Not that I'm not grateful, but I hated those when I was a kid. I didn't want them, but they didn't hear me out." I rolled my eyes. "It gets me so irritated." I mumbled.

"Yeah, but they were right. Look at where you are now." He commented.

"So, you're on their side too?" I furrowed my eyebrows.

"No, but we can't really do anything." He shrugged, looking away. "Other than wait."

"We are waiting!"

"Yeah, but maybe they don't want that. I don't know." He pondered.

"Well, it isn't like I was asking for what they wanted. They're going to have to suck it up." I crossed my arms, and sank myself on the couch.

"Liv, you can't just say that, they're your parents." He replied. I shook my head, looking away. "I'm really sorry. I shouldn't have asked you." He muttered. I placed my head on his lap, curling myself into a ball on the couch, while he caressed my side. "Can I?" He asked, pointing at the ring. I shook my head, hiding my hand. I was not going to let him take it off. 

"No, we don't have to listen to them." I wept.

"Baby, they're your parents. They are important." He sighed. I shook my head again, sitting up. "Come here." He beckoned, pulling me to his lap.

"What are we going to do?" I stressed, burying my face on his chest.

"Let's not worry about that right now, alright? We've got six amazing months of filming, and you'll turn nineteen, like, a month after." He soothed, rubbing my back.

"So, this means you're un-proposing?" I looked up at him with glossy eyes. He sighed, not knowing the answer. 

"I'm sorry I got you so excited about it." He cupped my face, and kissed my forehead. 

"But, I've always done what my parents say to make them feel good. Maybe this wouldn't be such a bad idea." I pleaded. "We'll prove them wrong. We'll show them we can do it."

"If we can't?" He questioned.

"You're not giving up on us, are you?" I asked.

"No, but they have lived longer than us, they've been through more." He explained.

"Yeah, but we can make our own mistakes and learn from them too. That's how we'll get through more, just like them." I proposed.

"Liv, you're so stubborn." He chuckled, hugging me. "It'll be fine, we'll make it out." 

"Did you say make out?" I pulled away, smirking.

"Cheeky." He laughed, before he brought me to his lips.

- · · · -

"Okay, so, are you ready?" He asked. I shook my head, giving him the phone. "Well, just tell them what you want, then maybe they will change their minds?" 

"Just like that? What if they yell at me?" I asked, walking around the living room.

"You yelled at them, that seems fair." He chuckled. "It's not like they could jump out of the screen."

"You're right. I don't even live with them anymore, why do they get a say?!" I raised my voice.

"Okay, maybe try speaking a little bit softer?" He pulled me to him lap. "Are you ready now?" He handed me the phone. I nodded, taking a breath.

"Mom, dad, I know you guys want to protect me, but I-"

"Nope." My dad shut it off. 

"Relax, try again." Josh whispered, squeezing my hand.

"I really want this. It's my life, and I know you guys are important but I'm being who I want to be. I know you guys are doing what you think it's good for me, but we haven't really talked a lot to each other since I moved. I've grown, I learned how to cook and how to get places my own way. I even took the subway once, which was really cool. I'm always going to be your little girl, but I've changed for the better. I'm ready for more." I blurted out. It felt really good to get that out of my system.

Josh hugged me tighter from behind, whispering he was proud of me.

"You know what?" My mom sighed. "Do it. Go for it." She approved.

"Wait, for real?" Josh lifted his head up. I smiled at him, watching his own smile grow.

"Take good care of her." My dad warned.

"Yeah, of course. She's the biggest gem I've seen, I'm never letting her go." He nodded, kissing me. 

I just did that. That just happened.

N/A

you guys, I didn't have time to write the chapter earlier, I had to run some errands with my parents. THEREFORE I HAVE NOT SEEN EPISODE NINE, I'M SCARED-