Part 102: Too Far and Too Short

BEEP

BEEP

BEEP

Staring sadly into the medical room through a window that connected to the hallway, I watched Sashi's heart monitor go up and down in a steady beat indicating that he was at least okay, but the many scars that had been wrapped in bandaged along with the bleeding from his head made it hard for me to think anything positive.

"Could you explain further what happened? It was just this morning that I asked if there were any problems, and then suddenly your adoptive son has not only put 2 men into the hospital, but killed the other 2. Nana, what caused this?" Miss Rias asked right next to me, with her arms crossed and a noticeable judging look.

To be honest, I wasn't sure what had made him suddenly act out. I actually couldn't think too great at all because the sight of Sashi in a hospital bed was too distracting.

"I.....I don't know," I answered, making Miss Rias raise a brow," I think he might've taken what I said to him a little too literal. He asked me what was my dream for the world and thinking he was just a normal kid I told him a world without villains would be nice"

"I see. I guess this method of raising him wouldn't be bad either," Miss Rias said making me snap my head to her," We could always use more underground heroes to do the dirty work for the commission"

"NO!" I said, almost shouting but enough that it made Rias wide eyed," He will not be part of the commission in any way. I will not allow it!"

Rias looked at me still wide eyed, but after a moment her eyebrows dropped back down to a serious but collected expression," Nana. That isn't your decision to make. I assumed that this was somehow you preparing him for that kind of lifestyle but clearly it was not. Remember who gave you this job. We can always take it back"

This actually pissed me off but logically, she was right. The only reason in the first place was because they assigned me to him not only because I was qualified but they were doing me a favor in helping me rover from my last family.

".....(sigh) Sorry. I was out of line," I said, turning my attention back into the room," But, he is still my son. I will ultimately decide where he goes and for now I'll still push him into a hero. If he turns out to be better suited in my old job then so be it. But he will become a hero, I swear to it"

"Tch. If you say so, Nana Shimura. What have you told his doctor?"

"Were there any good excuses? Luckily, he didn't suffer and broken bones and the scars he had weren't too deep, almost like scratches so I told him that we may have gone a bit overboard in training and before you ask, Doctor Garaki is very well aware that I was a hero before so me suddenly training my son is not uncommon"

"Pardon me?" a sudden voice asked next to us," Are you 2 from the commission?"

"Ah, Tsukauchi. You're finally here," Miss Rias said, as she and I turned to face the detective who took off his hat," The boy is in there. Do it quickly"

"Of course. Good evening Nana'' Tsukauchi said with a straight face, before passing us both and entering the room.

Detective Tsukauchi. A prodigy in the law enforcement but voluntarily remains as a detective rather than aiming to become the chief of police. His 2 quirks Truth and Erase both made him a very capable individual when it came to investigations both knowing if someone lied or having the ability to erase memories.

"(stare) He's getting too close," I said, watching very closely as Tsukauchi shook Sashi up, enough for him to open his eyes.

"Relax Nana, that's just his quirk. To Erase memories, he not only needs physical touch, but also eye contact. Those are the same requirements for Nighteye's foresight"