𝑆𝑒𝑐𝑜𝑛𝑑 𝑏𝑒𝑠𝑡 - 𝑌𝑎𝑛𝑔 𝐽𝑒𝑜𝑛𝑔𝑖𝑛

imagine: jeongin finds you sharing your night with someone else rather than him

y/n's pov

although you wanted things to work out with jeongin, you had to walk away; he wasn't the guy you remembered all those years ago. he was no longer the guy who'd bring you flowers in the morning before you had class, he wasn't the guy who stood by your side through hard times, he wasn't going to be the guy who waited for you time and time again.

he missed you, and he realised he'd messed up. but, then again, so did you. you didn't put in the effort to tell him what he did wrong, you didn't bother picking him up on it or telling him how he'd started to act - it was as though he'd completely fell out of love with you. so, rather than mentioning it and hoping for him to change once more, you let him go. you let him be distant, you let him wander further away from the light so you wouldn't be hurt when he returns for your love.

you met another guy. he was charming, his smile was always so welcoming. you forced yourself to like him more than you wanted to. although jeongin still wanted you, you felt pressured to leave that part of you behind. if he came back, you'd be honest with him, but not with yourself. you'd tell him simply; 'i found someone else'. perhaps he'd smile at the thought of you moving on so easily, thinking you were no longer in pain, or perhaps he'd shake his head at you and ask why, why you left him so quickly without even a second thought.

what could you tell him?

'i don't want you anymore.' no - it was too painful to let those words slip from your lips.

'i met another person.' no - he'd hate that your love was being taken by someone else.

'he treats me better.' no - he'd regret the mistakes he'd made previously, he'd feel guilty, and that wasn't what you wanted.

'i could only ever love you.' yes, but no - you'd take him back in an instant and it was too much, too soon.

a new guy sat before you, his smile widened at how nervous you looked. "there's no need to be nervous."

it wasn't because you were seeing someone new, and that you felt anxious it was your first time with him, it was that you made eye contact with jeongin at the entrance of the restaurant.

he made his way over to where the two of you sat, jeongin refused to meet eyes with the guy you'd been sat with, he continued to glare at you with such sadness in his eyes. "i waited for you," he frowned, shaking his head, "did that mean nothing to you?"

you were at a loss for words, you couldn't tell him what you wanted to. you couldn't be honest with him nor yourself, it was hard to watch him just stand there.

"things aren't the same," he gulped, reaching out to you, "i can be better for you-"

somehow, you'd snatched your hand away from his grasp, turning away as he glared at you.

"is that it then? shall i walk away?" he hated even saying those words, because he was scared you'd reply with 'yes'; which you did.

your hesitant nod was all he needed to understand that he wasn't wanted there, even if he was.

he sniggered, licking his lips with a tear in his eye, "am i always going to be second best?"