𝐹𝑎𝑙𝑙𝑒𝑛 𝑜𝑢𝑡 𝑜𝑓 𝑙𝑜𝑣𝑒 𝑃𝑡 2 - 𝐻𝑤𝑎𝑛𝑔 𝐻𝑦𝑢𝑛𝑗𝑖𝑛

imagine: two years had passed since you'd last seen hyunjin, and somehow you ended up meeting each other again.

y/n's pov

you'd found yourself waiting at the entrance to a cafe. you smiled, and sighed, seeing hyunjin sat alone as he waited patiently for you to arrive.

you hadn't seen him in two years. perhaps he thought you wanted to see him to make things right; he still wanted you back.

the door swung open, revealing a couple who were leaving the cafe. they held the door, allowing you into the warm. just as you walked in, hyunjin noticed you, and his smile grew wide. it was as if he'd fallen in love with you all over again.

you made your way over to the table he'd sat at, and smiled at him sadly, "it's been a while."

he nodded for you to take the seat opposite him, and he sat nervously, his hands placed neatly into his lap. hyunjin felt too shy to even talk, so he sat quietly and waited for you to speak up.

"how have you been?"

he looked up and sighed, dropping his head again. "good," he nodded, "things are busy recently. we're working twice as much now. i'm exhausted," he chuckled in embarrassment. you could tell he was exhausted; his eyes sat low, his concealer hiding the bags underneath. he met your eyes again, "how's everything with you?"

your eyes lit up and you smiled widely, "things are better. i finally feel happy."

his heart felt warm, and he reached for his mug. "you deserve it. i'm glad you found what makes you happy."

"actually, hyunjin..." you paused, gulping and holding your breath for a moment. it was difficult to meet his eyes, especially with what you were about to say. you held your bag in your lap, reaching inside to find a letter, and you handed it to him. the second you did, you felt nothing but regret.

he stared down at the purple flowers filling the corners of the envelope, and the calligraphy writing his name in the very middle. his heart dropped within an instant. hyunjin glanced up at you, his eyes empty, heartbroken. "what's this?" he spluttered.

you bit your lower lip frantically, holding your bag tightly, practically tearing into the fabric. finally, you met his eyes, and smiled; but it was fake. "i'm getting married."

hyunjin stared, and stared. for as long as he could.

you could tell how much this was hurting him. but, he pushed his own feelings aside, and smiled at you. his smile was warm, and heartfelt. "congratulations."

you were shocked by his response, and widened your eyes, quickly returning to a blank expression. "i wanted to invite you. as old friends."

he nodded his head quite slowly, and took the invitation into his hand, glancing down at it. he seemed to look at it for a long time. "are you happy?"

you could see the tears forming in his eyes, and you regretfully nodded. "he's someone i want to love and cherish for a long time."

"i'm glad you found someone," he looked back up, his smile fading quickly. "i'm sorry to leave so early, but i didn't have long to stay out. i have a lot of work to do, so i should get back."

you acknowledged the importance of his job, and stood from your seat with him, "i understand."

he raised the wedding invitation in his hand, "i'll see you on your wedding day."

you looked down at it, then back at him.

perhaps getting married wasn't the right decision, maybe you should have waited. maybe... just maybe, hyunjin had really changed. it was too late, now. there was no going back.