40W (Fate Says No)

Credit to the artist!

Third POV

Midoriya doesn't necessarily want to be a hero, but fate wants him to be. He humors it because he doesn't really have any better plans anyway and helping people is usually a good thing.

Midoriya was trying to go to the store. That's it. He is quirkless and doesn't really feel like dying quite yet. Along the way, someone accidentally bumps into him, and their quirk goes haywire, sending him into UA's lovely heroics entrance exam. He just sighs as a robot comes at him. While he is at, he pulls kids out of the way, praying that nothing could happen out of this. He knows fate, or whatever power there is, is trying to get him to be a hero or something. Seriously, no one ends up in as many situations as him if they tried.

Midoriya stays at the exam until it is over because someone will inevitably notice he is not supposed to be there and will kick him out. Nope, Nezu finds the boy who suddenly appeared too amusing.

A week after the incident, he receives a letter in the mail from UA. Luckily for the principal, Midoriya's mom is there to make sure he opens it to hear that he got accepted into class 1A. His mom gushes over it. "You better be safe," she says while also saying, "This is too good of an opportunity to pass up." His mom knows fate has it out for him. He is pretty sure they have a pact. He groans and accepts his fate anyways.

Eraserhead is his teacher, which is nice. "Hey, kid." Midoriya looks around for a second, making sure the male is talking to him.

"Yes?" He asks, avoiding names so it doesn't become real. Just because he isn't against being forced into becoming a hero doesn't mean he wants to be at UA of all places.

"Why did you join UA?" At this point, a bunch of his classmates are watching, waiting for a response.

"Honestly, I am pretty sure fate has it out for me. For example, the point system got screwed up and a student is lucky to be in this class right now. Meanwhile, the wrong student ended up in the general course, only staying there because no one wants him. That means that student might have something to do with me, and I don't know how to feel about that." The teacher just shakes his head at the child's words, only realizing much later that Midoriya had known way too much about the situation. Shinso was never meant to be in his class, at least, not this early.

Midoriya stops by the teacher's desk at the end of the day, when there are only Shinso, Todoroki, Eraserhead, and himself left in the room. "Please take this for me," Midoriya states, waiting impatiently for the doom. The teacher raises an eyebrow before looking at the form in the child's hands. It is a form to switch schools, to one much more normal than a heroics school. When he tries to grab it, it gets hit by lightning, obliterating it and nothing else. Midoirya sighs and continues on his way. "I'll try again tomorrow." That day, Todoroki and Shinso begin to agree with Midoriya's theory that fate is against him. The god of the school already knew, and it takes four repeats of that exact incident with different forms of paper destruction to agree. Seriously, no one nearby even has a quirk to make lightning. Kaminari can't create lightning like that and no one in the building has a strong electricity quirk otherwise.