80BE (Trip.)

Credit to the artist!

"If I fall, will you be there to catch me?"

"Always."

A day passes. Then a week. Then a month. I visit every day, knowing I failed my son.

I read Izuku stories of a world far away from here where no one has powers and everything is calmer.

There is less to worry about, more to be desired. I share lands that only exist in my dreams.

The villain stands over Izuku. Izuku calls out to me.

I go over with Izuku what the school would be teaching him if he was awake. Sometimes, I go above the curriculum.

I do not make it in time.

I share stories of my patrols and quirks of the people I interact with. He loved quirks. I wonder if he hates them now.

Izuku is in a coma, they tell me. They do not answer when I ask if he will wake.

My new students, the ones Izuku would have been in a class with, meet him for the first time after four months. Their visit is to show why heroes need to be careful about revealing their family. The class cries from the moment they see him until the moment they get back to the dorms. For Bakugou, it seems personal. I remember the stories my son used to tell me about an old friend of his who had a quirk and hair as spiky as his personality. Bakugou visits weekly.

"Dad? Do you think I would like UA?"

"I think you will love it."

Nedzu visits Izuku sometimes. He never even pretends to put on a happy face. We mourn for the genius that is stuck asleep until his body says otherwise.

"Nedzu says he wants to read your analysis."

"Really?"

"Yeah, Kid, really."

The nurses tell me I may as well take him home after a year. I do so, crying. Nedzu gives me the week off. Bakugou gets a key into my apartment. I have to learn how to take care of my son in a new way. It hurts.

"You don't need to get me all of this."

"Trust me, Izuku. I want to."

I fight a villain. I barely get them down. When I reach the ambulance, I hear a worried voice. It sounds so much like Izuku that it physically hurts.

"Hello, are you Eraserhead? My name is Izuku. I live at the Flora Orphanage."

I wake at two in the morning for the first time. I slowly sit up and wait for the nurses to rush in. While evaluating my surroundings, I see familiar green hair in a bed next to mine.

"Izuku?" The boy does not move. I need to know if it is my son. I get up and gently push the kid awake. A tired grumble reaches my ears.

"Dad?" Izuku asks for clarification as he rubs his eyes. I feel the rain try to free itself from my eyes.

"Yeah, Kid. It's me."

"Dad!" I am met with a kid throwing their arms around me, fully expecting me to support his weight.

Izuku is awake. Izuku is alive. My son is alive. I breathe in sharply and hug him tightly.