44Z (Talk)

Credit to the artist!

Third POV

Aizawa-sensei doesn't like Midoriya. To Midoriya, it is very obvious. His teacher doesn't know he knows, but the teacher knows he doesn't necessarily like the child. This leads to him unconsciously doing things that show it. This is caused by his bias towards those who have faced discrimination due to quirks. Aizawa-sensei further dislikes him due to the favoritism of the boy by his coworker. So, when Aizawa-sensei gets an alert that the boy is on the roof, he is mildly annoyed.

Aizawa-sensei arrives at the roof, planning on announcing his presence and distaste for this event immediately, but he looks at his student and can't follow through. He may not particularly like his student, but the kid has done so much for his classmates and has improved by leaps and bounds since being in the class. His Problem Child is crying and seemingly zoned out. It is more than enough to cause concern for the teacher.

"Aizawa-sensei?" comes Midoriya's voice. The man is shocked. They haven't done a lot of stealth and awareness training yet. Midoriya is too out of it to care. His internal alarms went off when he felt the presence behind him, but his teacher is the only one he knows of that could be that quiet. He kind of doesn't care if it isn't his teacher right now.

"Problem Child?" Midoriya doesn't relax much more than the nod he gets as a response. Midoriya has been dissociating all day, tagged along with his normal chronic pain, everything either sucked or he wasn't truly present for. Aizawa-sensei slowly moves closer to the boy, not wanting to startle him off of the roof.

"You can sit. I shouldn't fall," states the teenager just before he goes back into his state of oblivion and numbness. He "sees" as his teacher sits next to him, but he isn't present for it.

"Why are you out here?" Aizawa asks. The boy next to him gets off the ledge, just to lean with his back against it, scaring his teacher further.

"That's the question, isn't it?" A dry chuckle comes out. "I'm here because I am tired and will not find rest in my sleep. I am here because it is freeing and I don't have to be. I'm here because it is distracting and freeing and beautiful in the best and worst of ways." Midoriya slowly feels himself coming back with the conversation, causing another wave of tiredness and pain to hit. His better hand runs its fingers slowly through and around the other arm. Aizawa-sensei notices some of the smaller movements. He resolves to take his student to Recovery Girl in the morning.

"Is there anything that might help?" Aizawa-sensei's voice barely registers to Midoriya, who is more so zoned out in his thoughts than disassociating by now.

"Can I make some tea in the kitchen when we go back in?" His sensei is not expecting this response, Midoriya gathers from the look he gets. Aizawa-sensei looks over the child, trying to figure out just what that would do for him and why he wouldn't do it earlier. He stops down that path when he remembers that this is a sleep-deprived teen. And that's part of the problem, isn't it? This is a teenager. Not even eighteen and yet has been through too much.

"Sure. Just let me know when." They sit in silence for an undetermined amount of time. Before Aizawa-sensei gets to hear Midoriya's voice again, they sit and watch different things. For Midoriya, it switches between the stars that he can't help but feel extra close to on nights like these and his hands that burn from previous experiences and the cold air. For Aizawa, it goes between his student, the sky, and the buildings.

"Can we go inside now?" The teacher nods at the student's questions, realizing the student is looking at him. He gets up first, offering his hand to his student.

Midoriya makes Chamomile tea for the both of them, the task setting him back into the world again. His hands certainly appreciate the warmth. He will also like it when he tries to go back to sleep later. Maybe this time a mix of nightmares and scars will not keep him awake. Aizawa-sensei recognizes it as the same one he uses for sleep, among others. He appreciates it as well, knowing sleep will have to come after this one way or another.

"I'm sorry for keeping you awake."

"It's not your fault, not truly. Besides, all of my students, including you, deserve it. I should probably sign you all up for some counseling," the truthful joke makes his student smile. "If it isn't too much to ask about tonight, may I know why you were up there?" The smile falls.

"Umm, I was having nightmares, and my arms hurt. I couldn't bring myself to stay in the room." And oh, Aizawa-sensei thinks, doesn't that make sense.

"Is there anything else?" the teacher asks, knowing that is not the full story. He might not get an answer, but he wants to ask for his student's sake anyway.

"I was dissociating today. It doesn't have much to do with why I was on the roof, but it reminds me of my time without a quirk again. It's okay though. Days like this don't happen often." The glance he receives from his teacher makes him think that okay, it might not be okay, but at least he is alive. Aizawa-sensei is suddenly piecing together a lot of things. Of course, there is still some information missing.

"When did you get your quirk?" His student freezes, before accepting it, whatever it is. Midoriya figures that it is past the time to care about being careful with what he says.

"The day of the entrance exam." No explanation is given. Truthfully, Aizawa-sensei trusts his student and, therefore, does not ask why it came in so late. So much about Midoriya's mannerisms make sense now. He thinks back to all of the things he has told his student before and winces.

"I'm sorry for anything I said to you before tonight. You didn't need that." His student only shrugs. Midoriya is used to it. Aizawa-sensei is still ten times better than his middle school teachers, anyway. He is calm and patient and caring. Nothing like his previous teachers.

"It's okay Aizawa-sensei. You're much better than the teachers I have had before." Aizawa-sensei is livid. Who do they think they are, hurting his student like that? Aldera is going to have to throw hands, legally, of course.

Time passes. Midoriya heals. Aizawa-sensei is softer, especially towards Midoriya. (They think it is because he brought their teacher's favorite coffee once. They don't know that he makes it for the teacher every day now.) Suddenly, All Might gets even more hostility from Aizawa-sensei, but the man denies it in the most poisonous of ways. ("What did I do?" All Might asks the glaring teacher. "Wouldn't you like to know, weather boy?")

The class is having one of their monthly sleepover nights, they have to be supervised for all of them to have a sleepover. The teachers made it so that there has to be supervision for more than five students once they realized the kids were just leaving Mineta out. (They later got Shinso in, so the rule doesn't apply as often anymore.)

Midoriya works with Todoroki and their homeroom teacher to horrify everyone with their seemingly endless wins at every game. It gets so much better when Midoriya places, with the help of Todoroki, such an outrageous word onto the Scrabble board while playing against Iida that makes everyone have to check the dictionary, then their phones when they can't find it in the decade-old dictionary, just to be sure it exists. With this, he makes Iida flip the board, winning him the Scrabble tournament. He gets a small smirk and "good job" from Todoroki and a two-second-before-someone-notices Cheshire Cat grin from Aizawa-sensei.

He cheers on his teacher as Aizawa-sensei goes against Mina in Just Dance and laughs and congratulates Todorki when he beats Kaminari at a made-up game called Guess the Meme. It is a very successful night, in their humble opinions.

"Midoriya?" His teacher asks as everyone else is asleep with Mulan playing in the background. Animated Disney movies won for the night.

"Yes?" Midoriya whispers back.

"I'm glad you're my student."

"I'm glad you're my teacher."

*So, I try not to make too many of these, but I would like to thank you all so much for reading and add that I am so proud we have made it this far. I don't believe this will be the end of these oneshots, though, so please don't worry.