50AF (Good Technology)

Credit to the artist!

First POV

I wonder, now and then, what would be different if my mom hadn't gotten me that dog. The dog is lost now. I gave it away long ago in the hopes it would bring someone else as much of an escape as it gave me. I named it Robo, not very creative, but it was all I could think of when my mom gave me it. She was just trying every possible thing at that point, tired of trying to cheer me up but not willing to give up.

Robo was a small, metal dog. I put it on my dresser so my mom would think I liked it and left it there for months. On the worst day of my life, I came up and asked, "Am I worth it?"

"Bark! Play! Play!" I looked towards the small robot, smiling gently, crying. I realized that, for the first time, something was dependent on me. I gently moved it into my hands and began petting it.

"Midoriya, stay after class, please." I freeze, mentally preparing myself for anything I could have done.

"Yes, Aizawa-sensei?"

"Why don't you get truly close with anyone outside of Todoroki?"

"I am sorry, but I am unaware of what you mean. I have friends beyond Todoroki in this class." Aizawa-sensei sighs. I don't understand.

"You and Todoroki are close, but I am assuming it is because he has found a way to relate to you. The others, your friends, you haven't gotten that much closer to them than at the beginning of the year." Why does that matter? Oh, is he asking about the difference between my relationships?

"Todoroki said he wouldn't leave, and he reminds me of my robots!"

"Robots?" Aizawa-sensei raises an eyebrow.

"Yeah! I make them. They are great company, and they don't judge me. Todoroki is like that too, except for the judging part, but he doesn't do it negatively." Aizawa-sensei just shakes his head and drags his hand down his face. "I started making them after one helped me get over some issues a while ago. Now, I am making them for other people. I only give it to them after I know they have a support system, though. I of all people know that it can be bad to only have the support of a robot and assume it is all you need."

"May Mother Nature themself help me when Nezu tries to take you in." I give him a look, but he doesn't explain so I just go about my day, smiling at him and giving a soft goodbye.