Sing him to sleep

(A/N: MY PEEPS! This is the 100th chapter of this book??? Can y'all believe that? I know this book was kinda deceased for a while, but Halloween was yesterday so I think it's time to raise the dead. In honor of the 100th chapter, there will be a post every day this week! Thank you all so much for reading and interacting with this book. I appreciate you all so much, you guys are amazing!!) 

By the time you left the study, it was nighttime. Ciel left a few hours prior, claiming that he didn't feel well and that he was going to retire early for the evening. Ciel rarely gave himself time off even when he was quite under the weather so you immediately found that curious. You chose not to think about it and instead chose to be grateful that he was caring for himself. 

Either way, as you headed back to your bedroom, you passed by Ciel's. The light was off as to be expected, but the door was slightly ajar, and from the crack, you could tell that his bed was barren—untouched even. 

You paused in the middle of the hall before inching toward the door. You didn't want to invade his privacy, but something was amiss. You knocked on the door, your knuckle pushing it further ajar. Well if it was already opening... 

You slowly opened the door and peered inside, "Ciel...?" You whispered. You opened the door more, and even with the dull moonlight being your only light source, you could clearly see Ciel on the floor, back against the bed, and a blanket wrapped securely around him. 

He didn't reply, he just kept staring. You weren't sure if he was looking ahead of him or to his lap, but you suppose it didn't really matter... So it was this type of "not feeling well." 

Your heart ached. 

"Ciel..." You mumbled again, more for yourself than for him this time. 

You pushed the door back to its ajar state before walking over to him and sitting down. You didn't know what traumatic part of his life revisited him today, but you weren't going to push him to tell you; regardless, whatever it was, he didn't deserve to be alone for it. 

You stayed quiet, and he did the same. He didn't ask you to leave or question your presence, so you assumed you were welcome. 

Your comfortable silence must have lasted about 15 minutes or so before Ciel's head gently fell to your shoulder. Your breath halted, your body tensing in surprise, and it was only then that you realized you'd been humming. It was a gentle tune, a soft one, like the kind you would hum to a distressed child... actually, thinking back on it, it was the same song your mum sang to you when you were upset. How long had you been humming? 

"So-sorry about that," You said, "I didn't mean to bother you, it just came out." 

"I didn't mind," Ciel replies. His voice is quiet like yours, but it's softer. "You can continue, I won't care." 

You eased up a bit at that, your shoulders untensing and allowing you both to relax. You continued your humming, intentionally this time, and at some point, it once again evolves. It started off as soft words being mouthed in the middle of the tune, and then those words became murmured, then whispered, and then quietly sang. 

An hour has passed by and your eyelids have been getting heavy. It was already late, but practically singing a lullaby in the dark while cuddled up to your loved one was the icing atop the cake. You looked down to Ciel to see if he looked any less distressed or forlorn, and to your surprise, he was asleep. 

It wasn't the difficult sleep you'd have when you had a challenging day and you knew you'd do it all again the next, or the sleep you'd have when you're fighting off nightmares, or the dreamless sleep where unconsciousness is the only thing your body can seem to do—it was the peaceful kind. It was the kind you do when you're someplace safe, when your mind is free to roam, and where your anxieties of the outside world are seemingly nonexistent. 

It was a childlike sleep. 

 And it was then that you realized you were Ciel's safe space. Truly his safe space. And, to you, the only appropriate way to show just how honored you were was to return the gesture.