When you... die?

Sebastian inconspicuously reached the town center approximately five minutes later, and then we separated. Sebastian could cover more ground without me. Grell said (Y/N) was to die "from off the town center," right? So she likely wasn't here anymore. I ran to the outskirts. Nothing jumped out immediately about where she could be until I saw a sign: "Bridge Up Ahead." 

That was plausible, right? I remembered that bridge, it was a small pedestrian path over a small brook. Lots of animals, fish, and clear waters. It probably was something (Y/N) would look at. It was also the only thing that potentially seemed life threatening. 

I began running toward it, and I heard the town's clock chime in the distance as it did every hour. It was already 3 o'clock... 

I tried to run faster, but I couldn't tell if I succeeded. The bridge's base came into sight—empty—and all was quiet. I tried to wrack my brain for anywhere else she could be but soon the entire bridge came into view. She was there...  

...! 

I shouldn't have been surprised. Part of me wondered if I deserved this if I haven't learned by now. I felt relief. She was there, she seemed fine, and she was with someone—likely a friend. I was about to call out to her—warn her—and then call out for Sebastian to take us home. I shouldn't have been relieved, I shouldn't have hesitated, I shouldn't have thought the danger was avoided. 

As I ran closer, the trees covering the friend's face from afar finally lifted. Not a friend. Before I was close enough to do anything, I saw him raise his hand and knock her off the bridge. 

"(Y/N)!" I saw red. That's the best way to describe it. 

"The Gu-rd Dog's barki-g hi- way o-er alr-a-dy, h-ha-h--a," The murderer said. I couldn't hear him; he sounded distorted. I began to run to the bridge when I saw Sebastian suddenly land on the stone railing from the sky. About bloody time. 

In an instant, he leapt down from the bridge. He was getting (Y/N). 

And I wasn't sure what to think after that. I killed the optimistic part of me long ago, I didn't need to trick myself once more by thinking she'd be okay—that perhaps we actually did make it in time. I knew the possibilities, I knew how shallow the water was and how tough the rocks and water bed could be.

 So I didn't think. I ran all the way to the bridge before punching the man square in his face. I couldn't tell why he didn't move out of the way, but I didn't have enough sense to care. I couldn't tell if the man was crying or laughing, and I couldn't tell what he was saying either. All I knew was that a few more punches landed before I no longer had memory. 

Next thing I knew, the man was gone and Sebastian is drenched in front of me with (Y/N) bleeding in his arms. Sebastian's expression doesn't give anything away, and it's ironic how that tells me the outlook is grim. "Well?! How i-" 

"I suggest we get her to a medical professional quickly." Sebastian calmly interrupts, "She's alive—for now. But she sustained head trauma upon impact, and I'm unaware if that'll prove itself to be fatal." 

"Well what are you waiting for? Get her to a bloody doctor!" 

... 

It was easier to be pessimistic than optimistic. Optimism rarely proves to become reality, and it only hurts more in the end. She was alive, but how much longer would that last? I didn't check my watch until after Sebastian left with (Y/N) to find a hospital. 

 It was 3:03.