Stargazing

It was unnaturally beautiful tonight; in fact, you were surprised by how breathtaking it all looked. You certainly chose a good day for this. 

Ciel was to your right—the both of you atop a picnic blanket—as you stared at the stars. His hands were behind his head, a makeshift pillow, and one of his legs was propped up as he looked on in indifference. "I still don't understand the appeal of just looking at the sky," He said, eye still diligently watching the stars as if they would do something. 

You chuckled softly at his bitterness. You expressed your interest in stargazing with him numerous times, and tonight Ciel was feeling kind enough to indulge you. But, being Ciel, you supposed he would still complain every step of the way. "If you just look at it as a whole, you'll never see the appeal," You replied. 

You could tell he cocked an eyebrow despite neither of you turning your heads. "You have to look at it in parts. See the stars as individuals... and then see the pretty space that connects it. If you look at it in parts, you'll even see new stars appear that you didn't know were there," You continued. 

He was silent for a few seconds, presumably following your advice. "I-" You were pretty sure you were about to hear another sassy remark, so you interrupted. 

"It's also the peace it gives. Think about it—there's no noise, no outside distractions-"

"No Sebastian," Ciel cut in. You accidentally laughed. 

"-no nothing—it's just us... and the stars."  

"I suppose you're right..." You heard him mumble, barely above a whisper. 

A few more minutes passed, and when you looked over at Ciel, you noticed how a calm expression replaced his incredulous one. 

"Do you understand the appeal now?" You finally asked. 

"No..." He answered, "...but I suppose I wouldn't mind doing this again."