𝗦𝗖𝗢𝗥𝗣𝗜𝗨𝗦' 𝗙𝗜𝗥𝗦𝗧 𝗗𝗔𝗬

—"WATCH IT!" GRITTED SCORPIUS WHEN SOMEBODY BUMPED INTO HIM, HIS BOOKS FALLING ON THE GROUND. The person— who was a Gryffindor— didn't pay him a glance and just kept on walking.

"No wonder mum wanted all Gryffindors killed in the war," muttered Scorpius to himself, crouching down and starting to pick his books up.

He looked up when somebody started helping him, feeling his cheeks flush. "You don't have to do that—"

"Don't worry. I want to." The girl said immediately.

"Thank you," he said, taking the books from her hands. "I'm—"

"I know who you are. I'm Bailey Grant."

His eyes stopped on her Hufflepuff badge, letting out a sigh. "I've got to go—"

"Why did the hat hesitate yesterday?" Bailey asked, blowing a strand of her auburn hair out of her face.

Right off the bat, Scorpius knew that Bailey had a questioning nature and was bubbly, almost always smiling.

Scorpius wasn't used to that.

He frowned. "I don't think that's any of your business."

"Oh, sorry. Do you want to go to the great hall with me?"

"You.. you do know it's very rare for Hufflepuffs and Slytherins to get along, right? They'll be talking about us as soon as they see us together."

"So?" shrugged the girl as if it was nothing, then her eyes widened. "Oh, do your parents not let you become friends with people from other houses? Oh, I'm so sorry— I didn't know—"

"No, no!" He cut her off immediately. "It's just— oh, never mind. Let's just go to the great hall together. I'm starving."

Her huge smile returned. "So am I. Let's go."

"Do you know the way?"

She winced. "No."

"Great. Nor do I." Scorpius sighed. "Natalia!" He called out, noticing his cousin.

Natalia, who was with her friends, turned around and walked over to him immediately, leaving her friends. "Yes, Scorps?"

"This is Bailey."

Bailey waved at Natalia enthusiastically.

"We don't know the way to the great hall. Can you show us?"

Natalia ruffled the young boy's hair, earning an annoyed groan from him. "Sure, Scorps. C'mon, Bailey. Let's go."

"How was your first day of school?" asked Cassandra that night, sitting down next to her brother in the common room.

Scorpius answered, "Potions was great. Transfiguration was disastrous. Charms was alright. I met a girl named Bailey Grant, who is now my friend. That's basically it."

Cassandra hummed. "You didn't have any problem today, right? Nobody gave you a hard time?"

"No. Although, a Gryffindor did bump into me and made me drop all my books. Bailey helped, though."

"Did.. did the Gryffindor have red hair, by any chance?"

Scorpius frowned in thought, then shook his head. "Nope. It was brown."

"I'm sorry, Scorps. Did you see his or her face?"

"It was a boy. And no."

"Well, then I can't do much to help." Cassandra sighed.

"I don't want your help, Cassie. Thank you. Anyway, I should write a letter to mother and father. Do you have a parchment?"

"Here—" she grabbed the nearest parchment— which was in somebody's hand— and gave it to her brother.

The person merely got themself a new parchment and didn't look fazed.

Scorpius laughed. "Thanks, Cassie." He said, then started writing,

'Dear mum and dad,
I got sorted into Slytherin! The common room is really pretty and my dorm is perfect.
My first day of school was fine and I made a friend, hopefully I'll make more.
How are you both? I already miss home. I can't wait for Yule.
Love,
Scorpius.'

"I'll go take this to the owlery," Scorpius stood up, then slowly sat back down. "I don't know where the owlery is."

Cassandra let out a laugh and took it from her brother. "I'll go. Goodnight, Scorpius."

"Night, Cassie."