𝗣𝗨𝗠𝗣𝗞𝗜𝗡 𝗣𝗔𝗦𝗧𝗜𝗘𝗦

—"HOW WAS YOUR YULE?" ASKED MAEVE, LOOKING AT CASSANDRA. Cassandra, who was deep in thought while staring out of the window, snapped out of it. Yule break had ended and they were all on the train back to Hogwarts.

"It was fine." Cassandra shrugged, looking back at her. "How was yours?"

"Father wasn't home. He was too busy torturing prisoners in Slytherin manor to be with his family for Yule." Maeve said with a sigh.

"I'm sorry." Cassandra winced. "I hope it was alright spending it with your mother, though."

Maeve nodded, then looked at Vanessa.

Vanessa— who was staring at the floor, which was what she was doing ever since they boarded the train.

"What do you think is wrong?" Zara asked, noticing the same thing.

"Family problems," mouthed Maeve, not wanting Vanessa to hear her.

Zara's face showed recognition. She nodded, then looked at the girl sympathetically for a few seconds. "Are you alright, Ness?"

Vanessa snapped out of it with a shake of her head. "What?" She asked, having not heard her.

"Are you alright?" Zara repeated.

Vanessa sighed. "It was one of the only times they wanted me back home." She said, talking about her parents. "Their attention was on Theo the whole time. Like always."

"I'm sorry, Ness." Maeve put an arm around her comfortingly, looking highly concerned.

Cassandra blew out a breath, looking away from them and looking at the window instead, trying not to show the pity she felt. Then, she looked back at Vanessa, knowing what might help her feel a little better. "I'm going to buy something from the trolley. What would you like?"

Vanessa gave her a small thankful smile. "A pumpkin pasty, please."

Cassandra nodded, then looked at Maeve. "What about you?"

"Get her two pumpkin pasties instead of getting something for me." Maeve answered.

"Thanks, but I don't want anything." Zara said when Cassandra looked at her.

Cassandra nodded and walked out of the compartment. When she was almost out of the Slytherin compartments, she slowed down as she heard giggling in one of them. She glanced inside, rolling her eyes when she saw that it was Amelia giggling— who was with Theodore.

She immediately walked faster.

"Thank you," said Vanessa gratefully when Cassandra had given her two pumpkin pasties.

Cassandra sat down and bit into a chocolate frog, staring out of the window again instead of joining the conversation the girls were having.

She missed Theodore. She missed her best friend.

She missed how he would correct her whenever she'd call him Theodore instead of Theo. She missed how he would tell her goodmorning every morning and walk to classes with her. She missed him. Way more than she thought she ever would.

"Theodore talked about you," said Vanessa, catching Cassandra's attention immediately.

"What did he say?"

"He wanted to know why you were ignoring his letters and him at school."

That was right.

Cassandra had been ignoring him and his letters. She just hated seeing him with Amelia. She had a bad feeling about the girl if she was being honest.

"I'm not ignoring him," mumbled Cassandra as a reply, looking back out the window yet again.

Vanessa shrugged. "Whatever you say, Cass."