𝗖𝗢𝗠𝗙𝗢𝗥𝗧

—CASSANDRA GASPED AS SHE WOKE UP, CLUTCHING HER HEART, LOOKING AROUND HER ROOM FRANTICALLY. She then closed her eyes and tried to calm her breathing down, but the images she got when she closed her eyes were worse, so she opened them again.

She wiped the sweat off her face and stood up, trying to forget the nightmare she had. As usual.

It wasn't fair.

All the bad things she had done were in self defense. Never on purpose. Never because it was 'expected of her'.

But she still got punished for it.

She opened the door of her dorm room and closed it quietly, walking down the stairs and into the common room.

She didn't want to be alone in her room.

She let out a sigh of relief when she noticed Theodore still sitting in the same place where she left him two hours ago.

The common room was empty since it was late, but he was still there with a book in his hands.

Almost as if he was expecting her. Almost as if he was waiting for her.

She stared at him for a few seconds. His back was turned to her so he didn't realize it.

Her heartbeat calmed down finally. She felt calmer in the boy's presence.

She started walking to him, then sat down next to him.

He immediately looked up from his book, brows furrowing in concern. "Nightmare?" He softly asked knowingly.

Cassandra hesitated, then nodded. "Yeah," she whispered as she stared into the fireplace. "Another one."

"I'm sorry," he said genuinely. "Is there anything I can do?"

She hugged her knees to her chest and looked at him, eyes stopping on his book. "Yeah. Read to me."

Theodore stared into her eyes, looking a bit disappointed. He still smiled slightly and nodded. "Lie down, though. Maybe you'll fall back asleep if we're lucky."

She smiled back and nodded, lying down with her head on his lap.

Theodore felt his breath catch and his heartbeat race, but he managed to look fine. Soon enough, he started to read aloud.

Cassandra closed her eyes to the sound of his voice, listening intently. But within a few minutes, she fell back asleep.

Theodore stopped reading when he noticed and put his book down, holding her head softly as he stood up and then let go. Then, he picked her up bridal style and took her up to her dorm room.

He opened the door, the process of it being hard. But he still managed.

And he managed to put her in bed and tuck her in. After he did that, he stared at her sleeping face and tucked a strand of hair behind her ear.

He leaned down and softly kissed her forehead. "I wish I could take your pain away." He whispered, then reluctantly pulled away.

When he turned around to leave, he felt a hand grab his wrist, making him turn back around and look at the now-half awake girl.

"Don't go," she mumbled sleepily. "Stay."

He felt his heartbeat pick up, making him swallow. "Where do you want me to stay, Cassandra?" He whispered in question.

"Next to me," she replied immediately. Sensing his hesitation, she let go of his wrist with a small sigh. "You can go if you want."

"Are you sure you'll be okay with me staying next to you?"

"I'm sure, Theo." She murmured, closing her eyes again. She felt him come into bed next to her. She laid on her other side, facing him as she opened her eyes again.

The sight of Theodore being right next to her in one bed made her heart race.

She smiled slightly, and so did he.

"Go to sleep," he whispered to not disturb her. "I'll be here if you have another nightmare."

She shook her head. "I don't think I'll have a nightmare again tonight, Theodore." She said, thinking about the fact he would be here.

Here for her.

Theodore picked up on what she meant, making his heart melt. He let out a nervous breath, then tucked her hair behind her ear again.

She closed her eyes, feeling comforted.

For the first time in a long while, she felt safe.

And because of that, she fell asleep only a few minutes later.