𝗛𝗘𝗔𝗗𝗠𝗔𝗦𝗧𝗘𝗥'𝗦 𝗢𝗙𝗙𝗜𝗖𝗘

—CASSANDRA KNOCKED ON THE HEADMASTER'S OFFICE DOOR, ROLLING HER EYES WHEN SHE HEARD HEADMASTER SNAPE TELLING HER TO COME IN. She opened the door and closed it behind her when she walked in, sitting down in the chair in front of his desk.

Severus Snape raised an eyebrow. "What did you do, Ms. Slytherin-Malfoy?"

"You know what I did," she replied as she looked at the portraits of the headmasters. Noticing one missing, she grinned. "Where's Dumbledore's portrait?"

"Burned in a fire that started at one side of the castle by the death eaters in the Battle of Hogwarts," replied the headmaster monotonously. "Now, may I know why you threw an exploding cauldron at the direction of the Weasleys?"

Her grin faded. "They put something in our potion. It would've exploded right in Theodore's face if I hadn't done that." She defended herself coldly.

"They are in the hospital wing getting treatment for burns, Ms. Slytherin-Malfoy."

"They should be glad. They deserve way worse."

Headmaster Snape shook his head with a sigh, murmuring something about 'being just like her mother' as the door opened and in came Professor McGonagall.

"My students—" said Professor McGonagall, stopping herself when she noticed the girl.

"I know two of your Gryffindors are in the hospital wing, Professor McGonagall." Snape calmly said. "Ms. Slytherin-Malfoy and I were just talking about why it happened."

Cassandra rolled her eyes when McGonagall looked at her. "Your Gryffindors threw something in my potion to make it explode in mine and Theodore's face. I merely defended us. It was an instinct."

Professor McGonagall let out a sigh, knowing she couldn't argue with her. "Detention for the rest of the year with me, Ms. Slytherin-Malfoy." She said, then turned around and walked out of the office without a word.

Cassandra's lips parted. She looked at the headmaster in disbelief. "You're not going to let that actually happen, are you?" She demanded.

"I cannot change a teacher's decision of giving detention."

"You can." She gritted out. "You should."

He looked at her for a few seconds with a small frown. "Are you alright, Cassandra?" He asked, his voice turning a little soft.

Cassandra only then remembered that he was her father's godfather. She hardly remembered that.

She frowned back, looking more in disbelief at the fact he had asked her that. "I do not want detention for the rest of the year with her. Do something, will you?" She mumbled instead of replying to his question. "Please."

He let out another sigh and nodded. "But you have to go for a week's detention at least. Professor McGonagall will not let you get away with no punishment."

"Fine," she concluded as she stood up. "One week. Even though it was for self defense."

When Cassandra walked into the Slytherin common room, she noticed Theodore sitting on the couch near the fireplace.

She immediately walked over to him and sat down next to him with a sigh.

"What happened?" He asked in concern almost immediately. "You're not in too much trouble, are you?"

"A week's detention with McGonagall."

He let out a sigh of relief. "Thank Merlin. I assumed it would be much worse."

"It would've been had I not made Snape interfere." She said with a roll of her eyes, then stood up. "I'm heading to bed. Goodnight, Theodore."

"Theo," corrected the boy with a small smile. "Thank you for not letting the potion explode in my face."

She let out a small laugh. "Don't thank me for that."

"Night, Cassandra."