𝗣𝗨𝗥𝗘𝗕𝗟𝗢𝗢𝗗 𝗕𝗔𝗟𝗟 𝗔𝗡𝗗 𝗛𝗜𝗠

—WHEN CASSANDRA WALKED INTO THE BALLROOM, HER EYES SEARCHED FOR ONE PERSON ONLY. Her face fell when she couldn't find him. "The adults are in the other ballroom," whispered Alexandria to her daughter. "If you need me or your father, we'll be there."

Cassandra nodded and watched as her mother walked out of the ballroom. Her eyes stopped on her friend group. She walked over to them with a small smile. "Hey, guys."

The three looked at her in shock, then all pulled her in a group hug. "You're okay!" squealed Maeve in excitement.

When they pulled away, Cassandra chuckled. "I'm okay."

"And gorgeous as ever," said Zara, then pointing to her hair. "With a new haircut. That looks good on you, Cass."

"Thanks, Zara."

"I'm glad you're okay, Cass." Vanessa said in relief with a smile.

Cassandra smiled back, then looked around the ballroom again.

"He's by the drink table," said Vanessa, knowing who she was looking for.

Cassandra immediately shook her head. "I wasn't looking for him—"

"Then how'd you know who I was talking about?" Vanessa knowingly raised an eyebrow.

"Go," encouraged Zara, catching on. "You haven't talked to him, have you?"

"I—" Cassandra stopped when she saw him, feeling her heart become lighter.

She didn't know just how much she needed to see him.

Maeve groaned. "Oh Merlin, Cass, just go!" She also encouraged with a teasing tone.

"Fine," mumbled Cassandra, eyes never leaving the boy. "I'm sorry—"

"You have nothing to be sorry for," Zara genuinely said immediately.

Cassandra nodded and walked away, starting to walk towards the boy.

The boy who didn't see her yet.

The boy she thought about when she was in that dark room all alone.

"Theodore," she whispered when she was close enough.

Theodore, who was holding onto the table and looking out the window with a clenched jaw, stilled. He slowly turned towards her, eyes widening. "Cassandra," he whispered back and looked at her for a second, then grabbed her for a hug.

She immediately hugged him back, the smell of his cologne making her feel the calmest ever since she came back.

This. This was her home.

This felt like home; being in his arms.

They didn't let go. Not after a minute. Not after two minutes. Not after three.

When Cassandra finally did pull away, she looked up at him, her eyes filling with tears.

He shook his head. "Can we go outside?"

She nodded. "Of course."

When the two were outside in the garden, they started walking together.

But then Theodore stopped. And so did Cassandra. They faced each other, and Cassandra still had tears in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" He asked her softly, feeling his heart crack at the sight of the girl being like that.

"I killed her," she said, expecting the boy to be angry at her. "I'm sorry— I'm sorry— I know how much she meant to you and I'm so sorry—"

"Shh," said Theodore, pulling her in for another hug. "I don't care about her, Cassandra. It's you I care about."

She shook her head and hugged him tighter. "I'm so sorry—" she sobbed.

"Shh. Never be sorry for that." he said, kissing her head softly.

Cassandra felt her heart skip a beat. She felt her tears stop. And she felt her world stop.

She pulled away, looking him in the eyes.

He brought a hand up and wiped her tears, avoiding direct eye contact.

"Why did you never send me a letter?" She asked a minute later quietly.

"I did write you a letter," replied Theodore. "But it didn't reach you. The others sent letters to your manor. I wanted it to reach you."

She swallowed. "Can I have the letter?"

"I don't think it matters anymore. You're here now."

"But I'd like to have it."

He nodded, not having the heart to say no to the girl. "I'll give it to you one day. I promise."

She gave him a genuine smile, taking a step backwards for some space.

Space she didn't need or want, but she didn't know if she could say the same for the boy.

"I'm sorry Amelia did that to you," said Theodore as they started walking again.

Cassandra flinched at that name.

"I really didn't know anything about her plan." He said truthfully. "If I had known—"

"I know," interrupted Cassandra. And she did know. "I'm sorry for.. for.."

He shook his head. "I already told you; never be sorry for that. It is your death that would've broke me. It is—" he stopped, swallowing at the thought of her dying.

She stopped and turned around, looking at him in confusion.

"I'm really glad you're alright, Cassandra." He said, looking into her eyes. He then looked at her hair and smiled. "I like your hair. It suits you."

"Thanks." She muttered and looked away, feeling her cheeks flush.

He looked into her eyes again. Those gray eyes. It did something to his heart, though he tried to never show it. And he succeeded in that quite well, didn't he?

"Are you really okay, Cassandra?" Theodore asked knowingly.

Cassandra hesitated and shook her head once. "I'm not."

His brows furrowed in pity. "If I could take your pain away, I would." He said quietly.

Cassandra looked back at him, wanting to tell him that he could. She wanted to tell him that it was only him, who could do that.

But she wouldn't. She couldn't.

"I missed you, Theodore."

"I missed you too, Cassandra. I really did."