𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗠𝗘𝗘𝗧𝗜𝗡𝗚

—THE DAY OF THE PUREBLOOD BALL FINALLY CAME. It was weeks later and every pureblood family was in Nott manor.

The Slytherin-Malfoys were one of them.

Cassandra looked around the ballroom, brows furrowing when she didn't see him.

She saw her friends, though, so that cheered her up a little bit. She walked over to them and smiled at them.

"You guys look amazing," complimented Cassandra genuinely.

"So do you," replied Maeve with a smile.

"I've heard there's a death eater meeting going on," said Zara, looking at Vanessa. "Have you heard anything about it?"

"You mean.. right now?" asked Cassandra unsurely.

Zara nodded.

Vanessa shrugged. "I don't know anything about it. How would I? They barely tell me anything."

In the meeting room of Nott manor, meanwhile, were the dark lord, the death eaters, and Theodore Nott— the child.

Tom looked at the boy, who was trying to hide his shaky hands. "Legilimens," said the dark lord.

And he was sucked into the boy's memories..

"Five years in Hogwarts and not a single achievement. When I was your age, I was a death eater! I was serving the dark lord!"

"I have a disappointment for a son!" The man continued angrily. "Theodore, you have proven yourself non worthy of being my heir. If this continues, it will be Vanessa taking your place."

"No," said Theodore immediately in panic. "I'll do whatever you ask. Just leave her alone."

"Become a death eater. Or else Vanessa will become my heir."

Tom got the answer he needed. He was about to stop the spell, but something made him continue.

"Don't go," Cassandra mumbled sleepily. "Stay."

"Where do you want me to stay, Cassandra?" whispered Theodore.

"Next to me."

"Are you sure you'll be okay with me staying next to you?"

"I'm sure, Theo."

"Go to sleep," he whispered to not disturb her. "I'll be here if you have another nightmare."

She shook her head. "I don't think I'll have a nightmare again tonight, Theodore."

Tom finally went out of the boy's memories, staring at him in hidden shock.

Theodore's eyes widened as he clutched his head, trying to stop the throbbing pain he was feeling.

"You brought me a child, Nott." Tom said to the elder Nott, his eyes still on Theodore though. "I do not make children death eaters anymore."

Draco's eyes widened, then he relaxed and let out a breath of relief.

Theodore's father— Theodore Nott— frowned. "My lord, I can assure you he is mature enough to—"

"Not if he is forced." Tom finally looked at the man, giving him a deadly look. "Children are not to be forced or beaten, Nott."

"Yes, my lord," mumbled the man ashamedly.

Theodore— the young Nott— looked at the ground, his hands shakier than ever.

The dark lord just saw a memory of him and Cassandra.

"You're all dismissed." Tom finally announced.