𝗧𝗛𝗘 𝗡𝗢𝗧𝗧𝗦' 𝗬𝗨𝗟𝗘

—"YOU HAVE ACHIEVED NOTHING," SAID THEODORE'S FATHER WITH A SNEER AS HE LOOKED AT HIS SON. Theodore gulped, glancing at his mother for help. His mother merely acted oblivious, not looking up from the letter she was writing.

"Father, there is nothing to achieve yet—"

"Don't talk back to me," interrupted the man harshly. "How dare you talk back?"

Theodore flinched when his father slapped him across the face. He then put a hand on his burning cheek, flinching again when it hurt to do so.

"Five years in Hogwarts and not a single achievement. When I was your age, I was a death eater! I was serving the dark lord!"

Theodore didn't reply, trying to stop his eyes from tearing up.

"I have a disappointment for a son!" The man continued angrily. "Theodore, you have proven yourself non worthy of being my heir. If this continues, it will be Vanessa taking your place."

"No," said Theodore immediately in panic.

If Vanessa took his place, she would be abused. Just like he was.

He would be fine and forgotten, sure, but Vanessa would go through hell. Just like he was.

"I'll do whatever you ask. Just leave her alone." Theodore continued with a swallow. "Please."

His father's face slowly turned into a small smirk. "Become a death eater. Or else Vanessa will become my heir."

"What did they want with you again?" Vanessa asked, jealousy evident in her voice when Theodore went back upstairs after his parents dismissed him.

Theodore looked at the ground and mumbled, "Just leave me alone."

"Why do they never want anything from me? Why is it always you?" She scoffed, but her eyes teared up.

He looked at her then, realizing her teary eyes. "Vanessa, you don't want them wanting stuff from you. Trust me."

"It's always you, Theodore. Never me." She continued, her voice wobbly. "I want them to pay attention to me once at least. But it's always you."

He shook his head with a sigh, selfishly wishing he was her. But he couldn't let that happen.

"Move." He said, since she was blocking the way to his room.

"Tell me what they wanted first. Then, I'll move."

"Move, Vanessa. And leave me alone."

"Theodore, tell me what they wanted!"

He glared at her. "I said move."

Vanessa became quiet, then moved and let him go. Her eyes followed his movement, tears escaping.

Why was she so invisible in her own house?

Why was she so invisible to her parents?

Why was she even home? Why did her parents let her come home this Yule break? What did they have in mind?

When Vanessa was told she was allowed to come back home for Yule, she felt excitement. She felt wanted. Needed, even.

But she was allowed to come back.. for nothing. Absolutely no reason.

She wasn't wanted. She definitely wasn't needed.

She wasn't Theodore to be wanted or needed.

Her parents wanted and needed him, their heir. Not her, their extra child.

Did they even remember they had another child? Probably not. Definitely not.

Vanessa let out a sigh and went back to her own room.