Behind The Mask

11:55

Five minutes away from New Years and so far, this talk at the Lookout was falling apart with the news that has just been shared. Chase was now even more conflicted at the fact that one of his friends' mothers used to work for Lady Keres. But at the same time, he shouldn't be surprised since he knew that Fiona's "job" was a lie.

"How could you keep something like this from us?" Max asked with disbelief.

"I was only doing it for our family, I had no other option." Fiona tried to explain, now desperately wanting to keep the marriage from falling apart because she truly loved her husband and daughter and the way that they had to found out like this just broke her heart.

"For our family? Did you think, at least for a second, that your job, working for a crime lord, can endanger our family?" Max asked and Fiona bit her lip for a second. Did she ever think about that result ever? The only thing that kept her going was to provide for her family.

"And now, the Overlord that you're working for is now going into war with another and they're gonna put so many innocent lives at risk!" Max nearly yelled. Sylvia on the other hand glanced off to the side a little bit, usually, her parents would never fight, only playfully.

But this time, things got heated and the fact they're fighting in front of her friends and other people made her upset. Seeing her sad expression, Tundra placed a paw on her shoulder, trying to provide the least of bit comfort she could.

"Max, please. I just...I..."

"Save it. There's nothing we can do now." Max interrupted in an uninterested tone.

Chase glanced off to the side a little bit and watched the pups' reaction. Some of them looked uncomfortable, some of them even looked a bit angry. But it was until him and Marshall made eye-contact and it was the last straw for the Dalmatian.

"Well...you've got some nerve coming back here." The Dalmatian began, getting everyone's attention and all of the talking went to silence. Chase seemed a little confused at that sentence, but now he fully faced Marshall.

"Yeah? What's that supposed to mean?" Chase asked, keeping his calm which angered the Dalmatian a little more.

"After everything you've done, you act like nothing has happened." Marshall almost yelled out, but the hint of anger was still there which surprised the pups, especially his parents. Usually, Marshall would never be the type to express any anger, or have any anger. But now, this quick new act was nothing like Marshall. The sound of anger in his voice just didn't suit him at all. Again, this didn't sound like Marshall at all.

"What're you talking about, son?" Edan asked as he and Kushina were surprised by their son's actions right now. Marshall looked around at everyone and back at Chase.

"I think it's time that we talked about this. Ever since you decided to change, things have been going wrong left and right!" Marshall exclaimed which earned a little frown from Chase. Even from the Humdingers, Arya, Maya and the kittens. Frowns were on everyone's faces, but then they were all surprised when Chase chuckled.

"Hehe...haha." Chase laughed a little bit more which made Marshall a bit more irritated.

"What's so funny?" He asked and Chase laughed a little bit more due to that question.

"Haha, sorry it's just...heh...it's funny how much of a hypocrite you really are." Chase said once more which now confused him.

"Us being hypocritical?" Skye stepped in which now surprised her parents and everyone else. The small Cockapoo walked up next to Marshall with now an angry look on her face, similar to Marshall's angry expression.