The Start To Healing

Chase didn't know how long he had cried for, but he knew he fell asleep...eventually. However, the next morning, he knew something was up. It wasn't because of Ryder preparing him a good breakfast, but because it was only him and Ryder. Chase looked over to see Ryder looking through his pup pad.

"So uh...where is everybody?" Chase asked before taking a bite.

"Hm?"

"There's...literally nobody here." Chase said as he slowly turned his head.

"Oh, don't worry about it." Ryder said with a smile which really confused the young Shepherd now. He could tell the boy was lying, but decided not to press on and just enjoy his food.

"By the way, I let Lincoln know that you're here." Ryder spoke and Chase looked up from his food to Ryder. "He said it was okay and-" Ryder explained as he turned to look at Chase, and was met with a blank expression. At first, Ryder was confused but then realized what he just said and what Chase's situation was.

"O-Oh! No-no-no, you don't actually have to stay here, I-If you wanna head back then-"

"No. It's okay."

Ryder was surprised. Chase didn't sound upset at all actually, he was more calm but he still sounded surprised. No both of them were surprised.

"R-Really?"

"I think I should be the one asking you that."

Now Ryder was confused.

"Huh?"

Chase's expression slightly fell as he looked away in shame and just stared at his food. It then dawned on the ten year old boy which caused him to sigh. There was a moment of silence between them. Ryder set his pup pad down and walked over and sat next to Chase and patted the top of his head.

"Look, Chase. There's nothing more I want, than for you to come back."

Chase's eyes slightly widened and glanced at Ryder.

"But-"

"I know. You can't forgive your actions, but I do. Chase, whether you believe it or not, you've helped so many people. From what I've been told, you exposed a bunch of scammers, you saved more people and pups from being tortured and possibly killed. You did what you had to do...even if...I don't really like it that much. But you hated it, didn't you?" Ryder asked. Chase's mouth quivered and his eyes winced. Ryder saw this and knew what he was thinking, but he knew that right now, Chase needed to hear what Ryder thought.

"Saying that your uncle was going to die either way might not do much. But there's no denying it, you saved future victims. I know at the time, you mainly wanted revenge for what he did to you. And to be honest...I was actually hoping you would've killed him."

Chase now looked at Ryder with complete wide eyes, he always knew Ryder was one of the nicest people in the world and him saying that was completely shocking. Seeing his shocked expression, Ryder had to keep explaining.

"Chase. You never deserved the life you had. You never deserved to be treated the way you were. By Keres, by your uncle and aunt, by the pups...you never deserved any of that. And in that warehouse, what we heard in there, I can confidently say not only for myself, but also for everyone else that we were all angry. To be honest, I think others may have worse thoughts than wishing death upon the Blood King. So in a sense, we're all kind of guilty."

Ryder stopped speaking to let his words sink in for a moment. Chase thought about every single word that the Paw Patrol leader had said. Did everybody really have the same sort of thought? Thinking more deeper into this just made his head hurt. All he wanted in life was to have a happy family and live a normal life, but now that's not possible, he never had a normal life in the beginning. And it's too late to turn back now.