CHAPTER 2: 6 Years Later

Bella Hale, now twelve years old, suddenly jerks in her sleep, drenched in sweat. Laura, who sat on the other side of the loft in the kitchen, could hear the young girl's heartbeat rising. Laura ran towards Bella's room. She opened the door to find the girl clutching her left hand, where her burnmark is, twitching and whimpering in her sleep.

Laura sighed and walked over to her, shaking her lightly. "Bella? Wake up."

Bella jumped with a gasp, panting heavily.

"Hey, it's just me." Laura said

Bella sighed

"Same dream?" Laura asked with a concern

"You know it was the same nightmare." Bella replied

Laura sat back with worry. "You know I worry about you, right kiddo?"

"There's nothing to worry about, cuz. I'm fine." Bella said as she sat up from her bed.

"Well, too bad." Laura said "I have to worry about you"

Laura then reached over and began to tickle the girl. Bella began to laugh hysterically

"Stop!" she cried "It's way too early for this!"

"That's the whole point of this, brat," Laura laughed. "Come on now, you don't want to miss out on seeing your old man now, do you?"

"Of course I want to see dad."

"Last chance before things get busy with going back to school tomorrow."

"Oh joy." Bella said enthusiastically.

"You've had all winter break to relax and I've got a long list of things to do today so get your butt up and get dressed." Laura said as she left the room.

Bella got dressed and met Laura in the kitchen for breakfast. Laura seemed off.

"Is something wrong?" Bella asked

"What do you mean?"

"You have this look on your face. It's making me feel uneasy."

Laura ruffled the girl's hair "Don't be crazy. Everything is alright. Now finish your breakfast. We leave in five minutes."

Bella finished eating and she and Laura went to the car where Laura drove her to the hospital where her father resides..

"Okay, kiddo. New year, new you." Laura said as she pulled up to the entrance.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"It means that it's now 2011, and you have a new year resolution to try and make friends, right? Try something new."

Bella rolled her eyes. "Yeah right. No one would be caught dead with me."

"You don't know that."

Bella raised her burned left hand. "See this? Anyone that sees this quickly runs away and I'm called Freddy Krueger. Believe me, no one wants me around. Bella Luna Hale, the burn victim who lost her entire family and her dad is now a vegetable."

"Hey! Don't you say that." Laura said "You still have me and Derek."

"But no one has seen him since the fire. He should show up more often."

Laura sighed in frustration. "You know we've talked about this many times."

"And it is annoying." Bella snarked "No one listens to me. You say you do but you don't. I don't know if it's you being a total wolf and me being completely human, that's why you don't listen. I'm not one of your own pups. I'm just someone you're stuck with."

Laura looked completely hurt and Bella realized her mistake.

God, she is so much like Peter, Laura thought

"Dammit, I'm sorry Laura. I didn't mean it."

"We will talk about this later. Just try and have a good day, okay?"

Bella sighed

"Fine." she said as she got out of the car. "I'll see you at home in the morning."

Bella furrowed her brows until she remembered that the full moon was tonight."Oh, okay."

Before Bella closed the door, Laura called out "Hey, kid!"

"Yeah?"

"You know that I love you."

Bella smiled lightly back at Laura "Love you too."

Bella watched as Laura drove away. She then walked up the steps of Beacon Crossing Home, a long term facility. as she made her way to her father's room. When she entered the room, she caught her eye on her father, sitting by the window in his wheelchair.

Peter Hale was now barely even human. Peter was so severely burned the night of the fire that it had left him in a coma for the last six years. His entire right side was scarred from the burns. It was almost frightening to look at but Bella became used to it. She didn't care anymore. Her scars and Peter's scars were proof that they had survived something so horrible except only Bella was the lively one.

Peter had not moved or spoken in so long that Bella doesn't remember what her father's voice sounded or what it was like to talk to him. She was only six years old when Peter was taken away from her. What mattered was that he was still alive. What bothered her the most is that she believed that Peter could heal faster due to him being a werewolf. But nothing ever happened. Laura or Derek don't know why Peter is comatosed.

Bella walked over and crouched in front him and took his hands.

"Hey, dad." she said "It's me. I came to see you."

As expected. No reply came from Peter as he remained absolutely still. It is unsure if Peter even knew that his daughter was right in front of him. Bella has tried to talk to him only for it to be awkwardly silent afterwards.

Bella sat her backpack down and reached into it "I got some new movies for Christmas. Thought we could watch it together."

Bella pulled a copy of The Expendables, The A Team and The Sorcerer's Apprentice out of her bag. It had become a tradition to Bella that whenever she would visit her father, she would try to watch films with him to try and bond with him in her own way. But she is unsure if it is effective.

Bella even tries talking to her father, updating him on her daily life and problems at school. She just wishes that Peter could reply back, give her some advice.

After spending the whole day with her father, it was time for Bella to go home.

"I'll be back soon," she said as she gazed back at Peter once more before leaving. Bella left the facility and began to walk back to the loft, which was fifteen minutes from the care facility. It was nearly dark and the full moon was rising, which meant that Laura wouldn't be home tonight.

When Bella returned home, a wolf's howl could be heard in the distance.