CHAPTER 68: Malia's Search

While Corrine held Deaton and Bella hostage, Malia was on the hunt for her mother, the Desert Wolf.

Scott needed help and right now, and he could think of only one friend left right now that could still give him some kind of help. As soon as he pulled his bike in front of the Tate house and was yanking his helmet off, Malia was stepping out of the front door.

"Scott, you didn't have to come all the way out here."

"You weren't answering your phone."

Malia cast a nervous look back inside her house and she shook her head. ". Not right now."

"What if I told you that you're the only one I have left."

It was true. Malia seemed to be the only member of the pack left that hadn't gotten hurt or tried to hurt him.

"You're not going to want my help," she said stiffly.

Scott was wondering if maybe he had spoken too soon. Was Malia angry about what happened between him and Stiles? He knew that Lydia and Liam had been.

"Look, anything that's happened with us-"

"I'm not talking about something that happened," Malia cut him off. "I'm talking about something that's going to happen. Something I'm going to do and you're not going to like me very much after I do it."

What was she going to do? He then saw her cast another nervous look back into her house. He focused and heard something off.

"Does this have to do with why there are two heartbeats in there?"

"Scott, you should go home."

Scott's face fell but he then went to back away and head off for his bike. As he sat down, he noticed that Malia was pushing back the nearby window curtain and watching him with a sad look on her face.

As Malia  watched on, Scott threw his helmet back on, started up his bike and then rode away. She then straightened herself and gave a sad and solemn look. It lasted for a moment before Malia narrowed her eyes and then turned to look back into the room.

"Did you get anything out of him?" she said in a hard and impatient tone.

Malia said looking back at the sight of Braeden struggling against a thick set man with a knife.

"Not yet," she grunted as he tried to get free from her grip.

Malia jumped forward and grabbed the guy before she and Braeden moved to shove him hard against the opposite wall.

"You think you can make me talk?" he spat at them.

"We have nothing but time," Malia growled at him.

"You waste it. I am Spetsnaz. Soviet Special Forces. In battle, we kill our own wounded." That made Braeden add pressure to her elbow as it pushed against his neck. He didn't even flinch. "You can tear out my fingernails, cut my lips with razors, I still say nothing," he said smugly.

Braeden pushed him harder into the wall. "Correct me if I'm wrong but your section is out of work and broke, right?"

"You won't get a word out of me."

"What if we paid you $10,000?" she growled.

Soon enough, the Spetsnaz was sitting down as he calmly was counting the wad of cash in his hand. Malia was still glaring at the man.

"Guess the surefire way to any scumbag's heart is through his wallet," he muttered to the girls.

The Russian didn't seem fazed though for as soon as he finished counting, he began to talk, while fondling his newly acquired cash. "The Desert Wolf was last seen close to the Canadian border. She won't travel by plane. She'll stay away from surveillance cameras when she can."