CHAPTER 92: Scorched Earth

The sound of heavy rain was heard pattering the window of Bella's hospital room. Peter, completely exhausted, is failing to stay awake to watch over his daughter. Derek took notice.

"Peter, why don't you take a break? Get something to eat?" Derek suggests

"I'm not leaving."

"Peter, she's perfectly safe if you just leave for a moment."

"I can survive starvation." Peter growled

"Melissa is right outside. If something happens, she will get us."

"Why are you so hell bent on trying to get me to leave her side?"

"I'm not." Derek argued "I'm just trying to look out for the both of you. What you are doing isn't healthy."

"Since when did you care? It's been 24 hours, Derek!" Peter yelled "Look at her! She should've woken up by now. She should have.." Peter began to choke

"I know." Derek solemnly said "I spoke to Deaton."

Peter looked up at Derek "And?"

Derek sighed

"He doesn't know why Bella is like this. If anything, neither he or anyone else have seen a werewolf survive wolfsbane to the head. She's lucky it wasn't a direct shot or otherwise...." Derek paused "No one knows what to expect from this. Bella is healing slowly, we know that much. The wound is closed up now, nothing more than a large scab. She should be waking up now, if not soon. Melissa, she's done all she could. We have done all we could. It's just a waiting game. Bella's been through such trauma and no one knows why she is still unconscious. Is it her way of needing time to heal? Who knows. But I know one thing, Bella wouldn't have given up without a fight. She's a fighter."

Peter silently nods in agreement "Damn right she is."

"Remember what mom used to say?" Derek asked "'We are not just a pack. We are family. And we protect each other because that's what family does.  We don't run away. We stay. We fight. We protect. We live.'"

"I remember." Peter sneered at his nephew. "What are you getting at?"

Derek crossed his arms. "After all that has happened. We are still family. Despite the things you've done."

"What I've done?!" Peter yelled "You mean the revenge I plotted against the Argents for what happened to our family? I don't regret it! Did I kill some people? Yes. Did they deserve it? Yes. If and when my daughter wakes up, I'm going after Gerard and I'm gonna kill him myself!"

Derek scoffed "Little too late for that."

Peter squinted his eyes "What's that supposed to mean?"

"Gerard's been taken care of." Derek revealed "He's gone."

Peter rolled his eyes "Took the fun out of that."

"He got what he deserved. No question."

"And who might I ask brought an end to the oh so great Gerard Argent?" Peter asked

Derek said nothing.

Peter cocked his head "Oh nephew, that's low, even for you."

"What?" Derek said in confusion  "No, I didn't kill Gerard."

"Then who did?" Peter questioned

"Well, if you must know, it was Kate."

"Excuse me?"

"Kate killed Gerard. Chris was there. He allowed it to happen." Derek explained

Peter scoffed "There goes the dynamics of the great Argent family. The time for them to hunt us is over"