CHAPTER 27: The Promise

Peter and Bella grew closer over time as father and daughter. When the summer started, Peter made the ultimate promise.

"I want to show you something." Peter told Bella.

One afternoon in June, Peter drove them to the Beacon Hills woods, near the old Hale house. Peter parked the car on the side of the road and the two of them began to walk into the woods. Peter seemed to have a destination. He knew where he was going

"Where are we going, dad?" Bella asked

"I know you've been to the house but I would like to show you some things." Peter said as he led Bella through the woods.

The two of them walked for about ten more minutes before coming up to the house. As they approached, Peter slowed down. Many memories were running through his head. Bella took Peter's hand.

"Dad, we don't have to do this" Bella said as she looked directly at Peter and saw sorrow and pain in his eyes.

"I want to do this, Bella. I need to do this. I want to share this with you." Peter told her, gently squeezing Bella's hand and leading her through the doorway.

The damage was much more visible in the daylight. So many things were destroyed and covered in black soot. Peter watched their steps, making sure they were safe. He stopped as they came up to the staircase.

Peter stood silent, so once again, Bella slid her hand into his."

"What are we doing here?" she asked in concern

"I didn't bring you here to dredge up old memories." Peter said, looking at the floor. "I want to talk to you about that night...the night I 'died'."

Bella shook her head "I don't want to talk about it again."

"But you need to hear me talk about it. It was painful for me as much as it was painful for you" Peter said as he sat down on the bottom steps of the staircase "I was a very bad person, sweetheart."

Bella rolled her eyes and groaned "Dad..."

"Let me speak." Peter said as he held his hand up "I did things for power and revenge. I let anger and hate consume me that I didn't realize that my pain was hurting you too. I didn't think that you could become afraid of me."

'It's in the past, dad! I wasn't afraid of what you did. Hurt that it happened, yes. But I was never afraid of you. I ended up being afraid of Derek." Bella said as she sat down next to Peter

"Is your heart still filled with hate?" she asked looking at Peter

"No." Peter said "Not anymore. Coming back from the dead made me weak. Physically. Mentally is a whole different story.  When I came back, I was still jaded. When your heart is weak, the walls fall down and you can let someone or something in."

"Then let it be. Why are you bringing up the past?"

"Because I wanted to let you in instead of pushing you away agan."

"Was that ever a problem?"

"To me, yes."

Bella shrugged, "I didn't see a problem."

"But I did. Which is why...?" Peter reached into his pocket. It was a small box. "I want to make the ultimate promise that I can make for you."

Bella tooked the box and opened it. Inside was a beaded leather bracelet, with a pendant attached. It was blue with a black silhouette photo of a wolf howling at the moon. "Dad, what...?"

Peter took the bracelet out of the box and held it up. "There's an engraving on it."

Bella took a closer look. The engraving on the pendant said:

Whenever we are apart, just know that

you will always be in my heart.

I love you to the moon and back.

Dad.

Bella began to sniffle in tears as Peter took her hands. "Just know that, if there comes a day we can't be together, just keep me in your heart. It'll stay there. I want to make a promise to you. While I can't promise that things will change. I can't promise to be there for the rest of your life. But I will always love you for the rest of mine. After all that we've been through, what could happen in the future, there will always be something going on in our world where I would have to fight for us. For my kind.  With the Alphas coming, I don't want to leave you unprepared. I don't want to see it happen again. But I promise you this; for as long as I am alive, I will always be there for you. I will always keep you safe until the day I die."

Bella choked back her sobs as Peter engulfs her in a hug. "I love you so much. I have loved you since the moment you were born. You are my pride and joy, don't you ever forget that. Others may think I'm the bad guy but only you know the difference. I don't ever want to let you down again. I can't leave you broken and hurt again. This is my promise to you and I will never break it."

Peter held Bella as close to him as he possibly could. She snuggled her head into his chest and he rested his chin on the top of her head. Bella's hands gripped onto his shoulders tightly, his shirt clenched into her fists. They finally pull apart. Peter took the bracelet and put it around Bella's wrist.

"So, what do you think?" Peter asked

"I love it." Bella wrapped her arms around Peter's neck. "Thank you."

"You're welcome, sweetheart."