CHAPTER 97: A Chat Among Cousins

Bella stayed with Derek for a while. For the rest of the day, they just talked until after midnight. Neither of them had really talked like this before.

"You want me to call your dad?" Derek asked

"No, just leave it for now." she said "Do you mind if I stay here tonight? I'm too depressed to go home."

Derek nodded, "Of course you can."

Bella felt much better now. All the time she tried not to think about her father. It wasn't until she went to bed that she recalculated the whole situation. She thought she might have gone a bit overboard.

Once Bella fell asleep, Derek decided to go talk to Peter in person. It was better than over the phone.

At some point back at Peter's apartment, Peter heard the door open. He realized it wasn't locked up. He hadn't had time to bother with such things before. Derek entered the room. The first thing that caught his eye was a werewolf lying on the couch. Apparently tired and broken.

"Peter?" Derek asked.

Immediately after hearing that voice, Peter jumped to his feet

"Where is she?! DO NOT LIE! I KNOW YOU KNOW WHERE SHE IS!"

"Peter, take it easy. Let's talk calmly." Derek said, trying to lighten the situation. "She's alright. Upset but she's alright"

Fortunately, this worked for Peter. He walked over to the table and leaned against it, his back to Derek. After a moment of silence, Derek decided to approach his uncle. He put his hand on his shoulder and surprisingly it wasn't rejected. He made Peter turn around. Peter quickly smoothed his T-shirt and stood relatively straight, but you could see the paths through which tears had flowed. Derek was still not used to seeing Peter like this. Emotional and in pain. Derek did not remember the last time he saw Peter like this. He became so used to Peter's current ways that he'd forgotten how Peter used to be. Long before the fire.

They stared into each other's eyes, standing about four meters apart. Derek knew that if he could, Peter would jump on him and attack. Peter had his back to him again.However, he wanted to get out of the young werewolf where his daughter was.

"Be honest. Do you know where Bella is?"

Derek didn't want to lie so he just nodded. Peter didn't demand an exact address, he knew that wherever his daughter was now, she was safe if Derek knew. Deep down, he knew she would be okay. He didn't want anything bad to happen to her again.

"Is she okay? he asked, his voice breaking slightly.

Derek nods

"Let her know that I am worried and that I regret what happened to her. Tell her I love her." said Peter.

Peter said he had to give her time, and when she was ready to come, she would come. He didn't want to force anything. Not anymore.

Derek understood that it was sincere. He decided to pass it on to the girl. He turned and left without a word.

The next morning after she woke up, Derek spoke with Bella about what he talked to Peter about.

"That's what he said?" Bella asked after hearing the whole story.

"Yes, in those exact words." replied Derek

"Do you believe him? Because sometimes it's hard to tell when he's telling the truth or lying." Bella said sarcastically "Usually he would come right for me."

Derek smirked "I believe him. I love you, cuz, but I could never love you like Peter loves you. If you could see what he looks like now..."

"So it's all my fault?!" Bella's eyes flashed. Now the werewolf noticed the girl's great resemblance to her father.