CHAPTER 24: Another Enemy is Coming

Peter just held on to his only child, not wanting to let go. Had not intervened he would have lost her tonight. Sure, Peter could have let Bella seriously hurt or kill Derek, he deserved it. But Peter couldn't allow it. Bella was already so emotionally damaged that Peter wasn't about to let it get any worse. It hurts knowing just how hurt Bella was and he wasn't there to help her. And Derek did nothing, despite it being his fault to begin with.

Peter helped Bella up off the ground and just wrapped his arm around her, being careful not to press against the bullet graze on her arm. "Easy now, kiddo."

Derek turned around and watched the two of them hold on to each other. Bella glanced at Derek before looking down at her feet. Derek wanted to say something but he could not come up with the words. He now realizes the mistakes he had made and desperately wants to try and fix them. After all, they were family. Derek should've acted like family to Bella and he understands that he had lost her trust after killing Peter.

"How is she?" Derek asked as Peter and Bella moved closer towards Derek and the others.

"Nothing more than a graze." said Peter "She'll be fine."

Derek nods. He notices that Bella still refuses to look at him.

"Bella?" Derek said as he tried to talk to her.

"I don't want to talk to you Derek." Bella snarked

Derek wanted to say something but Peter stopped him

"Just leave her be, Derek." Peter said

Derek stepped back and rejoined the others. Chris Argent walked over to Derek. "When you get the chance, have Peter reach out to me."

"Why would I do that?" Derek asks

"It concerns the kid." Chris says eyeing Bella "He needs to know what she's been through while with us. As a father, I would want to know what's been going on with my daughter, even if she's been away from home. Trust me, Peter will want to talk to me. He's gonna want to hear what I have to say"

Chris walked away.

The sun was rising and Scott, Allison, Chris, Jackson and Lydia went their own separate ways while Derek, Isaac, Peter and Bella made their way back to the old Hale House.

As they walked up to the old house, a large symbol was noticed on the front door.

"You haven't told him everything yet, have you?" Peter asked Derek

"What do you mean?" Isaac questions

"What's going on?" Bella asked

"Why do you think Derek was in such a rush to build his pack? So eager to strengthen his power and number? When there is a new Alpha, people take notice."

"People like who?" Isaac asks as he points at the door "What is this? What does this mean?"

"It's their symbol. It means they're coming" said Derek

"Who?" Isaac asked

Bella sighed as she realized what it meant. "Alphas."

"More than one?" Isaac asks

"A pack of them." Derek replies

"An Alpha pack. And they're not coming. They're already here." Peter deadpans

Bella groans "Just perfect."

Peter looks at Bella "Don't worry, kiddo. You and I aren't gonna be around here much longer."

Bella looked up at Peter "What do you mean?"

"Well, I made you a promise, didn't I?" Peter said as he cups the side of her face, running his thumb across her scared area on her face. "I promised that we would have a fresh start and I meant it. I already found an apartment for us to reside in, just outside Beacon Hills. It's not much but it'll do for now. We had a chance before and it didn't quite work out." Peter eyes Derek "But it doesn't matter now. I'm back and I'm not going anywhere. I will never let anyone tear us apart ever again."

Tears began to fall from Bella's face "But...aren't you mad at me? For what I did?"

Peter looks at her "You know it wasn't your fault, right? You had been corrupted. You were angry at what Derek did, what his beta did to you so you turned to our enemies. You had every reason to want to hurt him. Although, I will admit, I am not entirely proud of that but it's over now. There's no need to be hostile towards Derek and his pack of friends now. After all we've been through, we're still family."

"Doesn't mean I'll ever forgive or trust him again."

"And you can choose just that, sweetheart. You may not have to like Derek but he is still family. There's only three of us Hales left now. Whether you like it or not, we have to stick together."

Bella turned to look at Derek before looking back at her father.

"Alright?" Peter whispered

Bella nods in understanding as she wraps her arms around Peter's waist and rests her head against his chest. Peter knew that he still needed to talk with his daughter about her choices these past few months, but not now. It wasn't the right time.

Peter caught Derek glaring at him "As I've told you before, nephew. I will always do right by my child. You may not see it that way, but I do. Now if you boys will excuse me, I'm taking my kid home."

Home. Bella was going home. But first, they had to go to the loft to gather Bella's belongings.

The drive to the loft was quiet so Peter broke the silence. "You've been awfully quiet. Do you want to ask the questions you've been thinking about this whole time?"

Bella stares out the window nervously "I don't really know what to say."

"Let me start by asking, are you alright?"

"I don't know. What do you want me to say?"

Peter shrugged "Anything. Like the fact that you're probably wondering how I am back from the dead. Am I right?"

Bella's heart skips a beat as she turns to look at Peter.

"Let's just say that when I attacked a certain teenage girl, my spirit somehow became connected to hers. Meaning that I have been able to manipulate her into helping me come back. Lydia took Derek after kidnapping him, placed him in contact with my body and directed the moonlight with mirrors at me. The access to the full moon, combined with Derek's healing abilities, allowed my body to fully heal and brought me back to life."

Bella's eyes widened as Peter explained how he came back.

The dream! The nightmare I had a while back. Did I actually see my dad revived?

Peter could hear Bella's heart skipping fast. "There's absolutely nothing to worry about. No one was harmed here."

"That's not it." Belle eventually said

"Then what is it?"

"I think I actually knew that you came back."

"What?" Peter asked in confusion

"But this whole time I thought it was another dream. After what you just said to me, that is exactly what I saw in my dream. Lydia and Derek at the old Hale house reviving you under the moonlight."

"How did you know that? How can you possibly witness my revival?"

'I don't know! But I do remember you saying 'I heard there was a party. Don't worry. I invited myself.'"

Peter nearly slammed his brakes once he heard what Bella said. It was true. He did say that. Could Bella have truly dreamt his return? Was it some kind of vision? Did she have some supernatural ability? Peter didn't know how to respond to that and just kept on driving.