CHAPTER 29: First Day

Bella woke up at 7am to get ready for school. She showered and got dressed. Makeup over her scar. After that, she sat down on her bed, reeling from nerves.

Peter came into her room. "You ready?"

"Yeah." Bella replied

"I know the first day can be tough."

"I'm alright."

"Yeah?'

Bella nods "Yeah."

"We can always wait a week to make it easier" Peter joked

Bella laughed "At a completely new school? That wouldn't look good."

Peter took his hand out for Bella to grab. She did and they hugged.

"It's gonna be alright." He tells her

Peter pulled up in his car in front of Devenford Junior High, which is in the town over from Beacon Hills so it's not too far away.

"You know dad, you didn't have to drive me to school. I could have walked." Bella told him, still looking out the window.

"Well, I just wanted to make sure my daughter is safe and to have no boys near her." Peter replied

"Dad?" Bella looked at him, raising an eyebrow.

"The Alphas could attack you.

"In the morning? In front of a hundred kids?"

"Too protective?" Peter questioned, making her smile and kiss his cheek

"I love you for that, dad." Bella smiled at him "And now, I've got school"

"Good luck." he said as Bella got out of the car "I'll be right here when you get out."

As Bella walked towards the school, she walked to the front office and was greeted by the secretary.

"Hi." Bella greeted shyly, "I'm new. I'm Bella Hale"

"Ah yes. The other new student." she said "Hold on. One moment please."

The secretary left as Bella sat down. She was glad she wasn't the only new student.

Wait, wasn't this the new school year?

Who else could be new like her?

The secretary came back and gave Bella her class schedule. Bella looked at her schedule. She was thrilled that it wasn't a bad schedule for the start of the year. She was surprised to find that she had art after lunch on Mondays, Thursdays and Fridays. Then PE on Tuesday mornings and a free period on Wednesdays.

Bella looked up as she saw someone come in, a teenage boy. He looked like he was older than her.

"Oh, you must be our other new student." she said with a smile

"Yes, ma'am" he said

"Well, here is your class schedule. If you don't mind waiting, I will have a student escort you to your class."

"It's fine. I can find the way myself." the boy said rudely as he left the front office. Before he left, he did send a glare over to Bella, which was odd.

"Right." said the secretary "Do you think you can find your own way, Ms. Hale?"

"Yes. Thank you."

Bella's first class was English. She made her way to the second floor where the classroom was, just in time before classes started.

Bella spent the whole day getting used to her surroundings. But she couldn't help but feel like someone was watching her. Every so often, Bella would turn over her shoulders but no one was there. At lunch, she did see that the new older boy kept looking at her. She didn't know why.

When school let out, Bella wasn't hesitant to run out. She broke a smile when she saw that Peter was out front waiting for her.

Bella made her way to the car where Peter greeted her.

"Hey, kiddo. How was your day?" Peter asked

"It was fine. Yours?"

"Interesting, I guess." Peter said as he drove out of the parking lot.

"Why is it interesting?" Bella asked

"I went to Derek's to help him and Isaac." Peter said "They asked for my help to perform an old ritual , performed by Alphas to read, and even steal memories."

"I don't understand. What did you have to do?"

"They wanted me to see Isaac's memories. He said he found Erica and Boyd. To do this ritual, you have to push your claws into the brain stem. If you do this correctly, then you can see their memories. They aren't very clear most of the time though, especially if the person you are trying to steal them from is not complying."

"I didn't know that looking at someone else's memories was a thing."

Peter nods "Oh, yeah. You can. Alphas can, of course."

"Were you able to help?" Bella asked

"I think so. Not a huge help but I saw some blurry memories." Peter said in frustration

"There's something else, is there?" Bella asked

Peter sighed. "I saw someone I recognized in Isaac's memories. He's called Deucalion. He's the leader of the Alpha pack. He said that time was running out for Erica and Boyd. "

"What, like he's gonna kill them?'

"Practically made a promise that they'd be dead by the next full moon."

"The next full moon? Isn't that tomorrow night?"