Chapter 78: Emotional Connection

"Dad. Dad!"

Lydia knew how hard it was for Malia to say these words, to call Peter this even though for most of her life another man had been her father and Peter had never really been there for her. But she also knew that they had no time left and Peter was the only one who could help them right now.

"Say it like you mean it", Lydia said in a rather strict way.

Malia looked at her and took a deep breath. She knelt down beside her father and glanced up to him. Lydia almost told her to hurry up, but then Malia raised her voice.

"Dad. Please wake up", she pleaded so soulfully that for a second or two, Lydia was convinced that Peter would wake up. But time passed by and nothing happened. Lydia knew that Malia was at her limits, she had given everything she could offer.

Malia got up again and looked from her father to her friend. "You have to try it", she said with a saddened undertone. "You know him better than I do."

Lydia took a step back, shocked. This hadn't come to her mind. "No", she answered, "this won't work. You need... I don't... there's no positive connection between us."

"But there is one between me and him." A voice said coming into the library.

Bella comes into the view and Lydia and Malia were surprised to see her.

"Bella? How are you...?" Lydia began to ask

"Stiles pulled me back with him, thanks to you. Came out exactly where the Ghost Riders took me. Nice to know that I am remembered"

"She's our last chance", Malia declared to Lydia.

It came to Lydia's mind that her friend was maybe right.

While Peter had been the one to discover Lydia's powers first, to attack and to haunt her. He had used her to return from the dead and to find out what his sister Thalia had stolen from him. Lydia had always been important to him, and after all, he was important to her as well. In exchange for information Peter had taught her how to use her powers, and while being possessed by him she had had quite an intense relationship with his younger self.

But with Bella, her's and Peter's relationship was far more personal than what she or Malia had. A true father daughter bond. Their love for each other. Lydia knows how much Peter truly loved his daughter and that he would do anything for her.

"Lydia, what are you waiting for?", Malia asked nervously.

Lydia looked at her and nodded. This could work, maybe this was the only way, but it would also hurt Malia. Lydia knew how much her friend wanted a connection to her real father, and it was awful for her for somebody else was closer to him than she was. But this was a minor matter now. If their places were switched, Malia surely wouldn't care about it.

Lydia pulled herself together and gestured for Bella to come over. Bella came around and caught sight of her father for the first time in god knows how long.

"What am I supposed to do?" Bella asked

"Try and wake him." Malia said agitatedly

Bella knelt down in front of Peter, touching his arms with her hands. Suddenly, the room was completely noiseless and everything they could hear was the sound of Bella's voice.

"Dad", she said, calmly. No reaction.

"Dad!" Her voice was louder, but still he didn't seem to hear her.

Bella inhaled. She collected all the emotions, all the memories connected with Peter, every good and bad thing she had ever felt because of him, and put it in this last try. Bella screamed his own name right in his face. "Dad!"

The werewolf in front of her looked up and right into her eyes. The newspaper in his hands fell on the floor. For a single moment the room seemed to be empty except for the two of them, their eyes locked.

"Bella", Peter whispered, and in her ears it sounded like an apology for everything he had ever done to her. She quietly accepted it.

"Dad." Bella gasped, with tears forming in her eyes .

Bella got up and her hand left his arms. Peter followed slowly as he stood up and looked down into his daughter's eyes. Peter didn't know what to say and he cupped her face in his hand. Bella did not pull back from Peter's touch as he caressed her cheek with his thumb.

"My beautiful daughter." He smiled at her

Bella choked back her cries as she wrapped her arms around Peter's waist. As the eye contact ended, Peter looked up to see Malia and Lydia. He then looked around looking confused.

"What's going on here?" Peter asked

"The train will be arriving in twelve minutes." the announcer said

"We need your help, stopping the WIld Hunt." Lydia told Peter

"Me?" Peter said in disbelief as he looked around the room "You want me to stop them? Do you know how many there are?"

"Yeah, a lot of them. So get going." Malia said as she, Lydia, Peter and Bella walked towards a door

"There are hundreds of rooms in this train station which apparently now serves as a high school library. It's impossible." Peter states

"We can try." Malia said

"Where do you get this implausible optimism? Peter asked

"Definitely not from my father."

"We don't have time for this." Lydia says "We need someone to hear us."

"I think we already did." Peter says as they spot a Ghost Rider at the door.

"Ah, crap." Bella said

Malia shifted, growling at the rider

"Stay behind me." Lydia says "They won't take a banshee."

"Are you sure about that?" Peter asks as Peter stepped in front of Lydia. The ghost rider cracked its whip directly at Peter.

Peter growls and gets ready to fight. He tried to punch the rider, only for his arm to go through it. He tries multiple times but every punch he throws goes right through the rider. Not affecting it.

Malia, Lydia and Bella try to take off and hide, only to come upon another Ghost Rider. As the rider cracked its whip at them, Malia tries to push Lydia and Bella out of the way, only for the whip to directly hit Bella across her arm and she cried out in pain

"Bella!" Peter cried, running to her.

Peter grabs ahold of her and hands her off to Malia and Lydia. "Get her out of here."

Peter goes back to the fight. He managed to attack one of them and was able to knock it down.

"He did it." Malia said.

Another Ghost RIder comes in to join the fight with Peter.

"Go!" Peter yelled out to the girls and Lydia and Malia started to run towards the exit. At the door, Malia sees that Bella was staying put and decided to stay behind with her

Ghost Riders get the upper hand and lift Peter up by the throat. Bella can't bear to see Peter get killed so she goes back to join the fight. As Bella watches. Peter looks right at her with worry, with eyes telling her to 'run' as he is being choked to death but she doesn't. Bella shifted in rage and goes to attack, with Malia following behind.