CHAPTER 11: What If I Wanted the Bite?

Bella woke up the next morning feeling completely rested. She hadn't had a good night's sleep in ages! She turned to look at the clock. It was just after eleven in the morning.

Wow, I sure needed the sleep, Bella thought

She got up and went downstairs and was greeted by Peter who was sitting at the dining room table.

"Well, Sleeping Beauty has arisen!" Peter said

"Ha!" Bella laughed, "You try not to have a good night's sleep." Bella sat down at the table "God, I haven't slept like that in forever."

"I can most certainly relate." Peter chuckled, "Well, since you're up now, how about we get the day started?"

"Yeah!"

"Let's have some fun, shall we?"

Peter decided to take Bella out to lunch at the local bowling alley.

"Lunch and bowling. What could be better than that?" Bella laughed

Peter and Bella agreed to share a large pizza. After eating a few slices, Peter brought something up that surprised Bella

"Oh, by the way. I have things to do tonight so you'll be on your own for dinner tonight. Are you okay with that?"

"What kind of things?" Bella asked

"Things such as trying to convince Scott to join the pack. Dangerous business."

"As long as I know what you are up to, it doesn't matter."

"You have to know my every move now, huh?"

'Well, it doesn't hurt to know. You know that Derek has left me alone for days at a time and has not told me where he was or what he was doing."

"He did what?" Peter asked, looking at Bella all confused

"Yeah. Practically said it was to protect me but it wasn't very convincing. He's barely talked to me since he came here. Laura never did that to me when she was alive"

"It seems like I should have a talk with my loving nephew."

"Please do. He's been such a hardass."

"Hey. language."

Bella chuckled "Sorry, dad."

"But yes, Derek can be a hardass."

The two of them had enjoyed the afternoon together playing a few rounds of bowling. For the first time in a long time, Bella was happy. She felt like she didn't have to worry about anything for a while. Her dad was back and that was all that truly mattered to her. Belle didn't want any of it to end.

Once they got back to the loft, Bella engulfed Peter in a hug, wrapping her arms around his waist.

"Hey, kiddo. What's this about?" Peter asked, hugging her back.

"You have no idea how much real fun I had today." Belle said, breaking the hug. "This was the first time in probably six years that I have been so happy. To even have a good laugh. There have been times where I'd try to do something and I'm not into it. I would get bored or something. But what we did today, is something I had not felt in so long. I didn't even want our day to end yet."

Peter wrapped his arm around Bella once more as the two of them sat down on the couch "And now we have all the time in the world to make up for what we lost. Even I have to admit, I've enjoyed spending time with you today. Real time."

"And now, we shouldn't have anything else to worry about right?"

"I don't know about that, sweetheart. I'm not gonna lie, me being a werewolf, I'll always have a target on my back."

"Oh, jeez. That makes me feel so much better."

Peter held a hand up "What I was going to say is that whenever I am finished here with Derek, you and I, we will leave Beacon Hills and start a new chapter where no one can ever find us. One where we probably won't have a target on our backs"

"You mean that?"

"It's a promise."

"But our enemies probably don't even know that I am human. What if something happens to me and they think I'm a wolf..."

Peter took Bella's hands "I promise you, pup. No one will lay a hand on you for as long as I'm around."

"Pup? That's a new one."

"You don't remember me calling you that when you were small?"

Bella nodded "Not really."

Peter shrugged "It's okay. It was a long time ago."

Peter then cups Bella's face in his hands "But hey. It does not matter if you are a human or a werewolf. I couldn't care less. You are one of the strongest people I know and you have no idea how much I love you just by having you be you."

Bella's eyes began to swell up "You really don't care if I am a werewolf or not?"

"Of course not. Just having you for a daughter is more than enough"

Bella sighed "Can I ask you something?"

"Anything."

"What if I wanted the bite?"

Peter scoffed, "Well, here's one I wasn't prepared to discuss with you."

"I just get so tired of being weak and useless. I feel like I am not a true Hale if I am not a wolf."

"And you don't have to be." Peter said

"But what if I do?'

Peter sighed "Bella, when you were born, I knew that you came out as human. That the wolf genes weren't a part of you. Like I told you, I did not care. If anything, I felt more relieved that you are human."

Bella scrunched her eyes

"It just means that you don't have to go through what we do every month on the full moon. Being a wolf daily has its challenges. Having to hide out and limit certain lifestyles. You'd be hunted for the rest of your life. You know that. I understand you wanting to feel stronger than what you feel now. But it's not about the power that makes you stronger. It's what's in the heart. What defines you. But if you want the bite, I'll give it to you but not until you are eighteen. That's it. Until then, I want you to try and live out a normal childhood as best you can. For me. That's all I wanted for you."

Bella takes a deep breath as she holds back tears. "I never thought about it like that."

Peter shakes his head and does his hardest not to try and not leave his daughter disappointed, "The only thing I want you to concentrate on is having fun and being a kid. That sounds alright with you?" he asks with a tiny smirk.

Bella smiled back and nodded her head.  When she leans over, Bella clasps her hands around Peter, "Can we just stay like this for a little while?" she whispers out.

Peter smiles at her, "It would be my pleasure, little one."

Peter doesn't know what to say, on one hand he knows that he should tell his daughter the many truths about the supernatural of the world. Tell her what their family was really made up of and show her what she could be. On the other hand, though, she'd already been through so much already and Peter did not want to frighten her.

The rest of the afternoon passes as they sit around talking. Before long, Peter had to get going for the night.

"You'll probably be in bed by the time I get back, kiddo." Peter said "I'll see you first thing, alright? We'll have another fun day."

"Okay dad!"

Peter left. The real plans were that he was going to take Scott's mother, Melissa McCall, out on a date but his plans had not lasted two hours thanks to a certain delinquent named Stiles crashing his jeep behind Peter's car. Peter knew that Scott was involved with putting a stop to the evening, making Peter miss the dinner reservations with Melissa.

Peter returns to the loft and makes himself a cup of tea before heading upstairs. He checks in on Bella, who was sound asleep in her room, before going across the hall into his own bedroom