CHAPTER 7: Wolfsbane Bullet

A few days had passed since Derek's arrest. Bella was actually pleased to be at the Stilinski house. She had felt truly welcomed in the sheriff's house. Bella's gotten to know Stiles quite well and even got to meet Scott McCall, who was surprised that Derek even had a cousin.

"We thought that he was living in the Hale house?" Scott asked

"Well, I had been living in an apartment with Laura for the last six years so I haven't been anywhere near the Hale house since the fire. If Derek had been staying there this whole time, then it would be news to me."

It was now Saturday. Bella managed to sleep in that morning. Stiles had mentioned a lacrosse game that was happening that night  so he and Scott would be gone later, which meant that she would be alone in the house.

Bella wanted to go see her father today and had asked Sheriff Stilinski if she could go. It was then that she had received some unexpected news. Derek had been released and the body was positively identified as Laura. Bella got all emotional as if she was just hearing the news of Laura's body for the first time.

The sheriff had asked what she wanted to do.

Bella replied "I'd like to try and go home."

And she did. She promised that she would keep in contact with the sheriff if anything happens or if she needed anything.

Bella got to the loft and was surprised to find Derek standing in the middle of the room.

"Oh, hey Derek. How was jail?"

"You don't have to sound so sarcastic about it."

"Well, you were found near Laura's body while hiding out in the old Hale House. Stupid move on your part"

Before Derek could say anything, Bella continued

"Oh yes, I know all about you staying there when you should've been staying here. Why would you ever go back to that place?"

Derek shrugged "Just felt right."

"Hmmm, sure. Did you at least think about what you did while locked up?"

"What I did? What I did was come back here after years to find Laura, only to find she is dead and now I have to find out what happened. I've spent day and night trying to figure it out!"

"That and the fact that you refuse to step up to the parental guardian role after Laura died. You've left me alone for days!"

"It was better that way."

"For who? You or me?"

"You are human! If you were seen with me, someone would seriously hurt or kill you, not knowing that you are completely human. They would mistake you for a wolf. And I would have nothing but to blame myself if something ever happened to you. Why do you think I stay away? It's because I care, Bella. I may not show it but I do. You are family and we look out for each other."

Derek's words had stunned Bella. She should've realized that she could be a target. Bella sat down on the couch and took in what Derek had said.

"What I am doing, is not because I hate you. It's not that. You are my cousin and I will always love you. Your safety is now my priority. And I am sorry if the way I had been doing things has made you think that I had abandoned you."

Before Bella could speak, Derek shushed her "Let me speak. Yes, I was gone for six years and I shouldn't have been. Laura wanted to stay in Beacon Hills with you so you can be near Peter. I didn't want to be anywhere in Beacon Hills so I left and never looked back. Until now."

Silence filled the air. Tears filled Bella's eyes. "I should have known."

"It was easier to think I left you alone than having you know what I was up to."