CHAPTER 57: Determined

Bella watched as Peter began to circle around her.

"What did you do?" Bella asked again, getting angry in the process

"Deliberately stupid is not a good look on you, darling," Peter said mildly

"Stop playing dumb," Bella said.

"Who says I'm playing?" Peter asked, doing his best not to look at her. Peter already knew too much about what was going on, and he really didn't want to involve Bella any more than necessary.

Bella glared at her father. When Peter pinned a glare on her, he adopted a mulish expression. He crossed his arms over his chest and glared at the wall across the room.

"Why are you protecting me from Kate?" Bella asked again.

"Why else would I need to protect you from Kate? You know what she's capable of."

Bella scowled as she heard Peter's heart skip a beat. "You're lying."

Peter smirked. "Yeah, but that wasn't a lie. Not totally"

Peter's phone started buzzing. Peter frowned at it but answered it. Bella tried to listen to who was on the other end but could barely hear it. The voice was faint. Peter was annoyed as he hung up. He tried to leave, only to be stopped by his daughter.

Bella growled "You aren't leaving until you tell me what's going on."

"I told you-"

"You gave me a generic excuse, not the truth," Bella said. "I won't tolerate lies, not from you."

After a long moment of stubborn silence, Peter sighed heavily and stared down at his feet.

"I want only the truth from you," Bella eventually said. "No matter what this means."

Peter frowned slightly, "What do you mean?"

"Dad, I know that you think that you can protect me by any means necessary but I won't feel protected unless you keep me in the loop."

Peter nodded. "I know," he said. "And if it comes to that, I'll share. But if it's not, then I'm not going to put you in the line of fire of some psychopath."

"Kate could kill us anyways."

Peter scowled. "That doesn't mean that I'm going to risk Kate acting out her threats on you because of me," he said. "We've all been through enough already."

"And we will keep going through a lot more," she said. "The threats will never stop for as long as any of us will live."

Peter watched her for a brief moment before nodding. He knew that Bella was right. Peter hesitated for a moment before speaking. "Fine. Just know that I only did this for a reason."

"What reason is that?" Bella asked

Peter was silent for a moment, thinking about how to best explain it. "I've been working with Kate."

"What?!' Bella barked "Are you insane?!"

Peter raised a hand "I want you to know that I am only doing that to get close to her. Did you really think that I would be in league with that psychotic bitch?"

"What do you want me to think? You practically just told me that you are working with Kate, the monster that destroyed our family!"

"Technically, I am not really working with her. It's a fake allegiance. I had hoped that we would unite against a common enemy. I'm only doing this to get close to her, to get our money back. When all this is over, I'm going to kill her."

Bella combed her hands through her hair "You are so stupid! The money doesn't even matter! Our lives are more important than money!

Bella stood where she was, not seeing anything, and not noticing the way her hands were trembling. She closed her eyes and tried to take a breath, her panic getting worse when she was unsuccessful. Bella did her best to remember what she needed to do, but she just couldn't take a breath.

Bella became vaguely aware of Peter moving towards her, but she just clenched her eyes shut and allowed her body to sink to the floor.

"Bella?" Peter said worriedly, kneeling down besides her, placing his hands on her shoulders.

Bella tried to relax, draw in a breath, but was only successful in nodding slightly.

"Your heart is going crazy! Bells, open your eyes!"

She did so, ignoring the look of shock on his face when their eyes met. Bella pushed Peter away as she stood from the ground, leaving against a pillar. She couldn't even face Peter.

Peter stands right before her with a tired look. Before one of them gets a chance to say a word, Bella punches him in the face. Hard.

"Why are you such an idiot?" Bella cried, tears streaming down her face. She continues hitting him hard in the chest but Peter continues to stand there silently, which only makes her more frustrated.

"Why weren't you listening to me? I was... and you just.. you selfish moron!"

Peter stands still but after a while he carefully lays his hands on Bella's shaking shoulders. Holds her to calm her down. She has true Hale's nature, his daughter. She got that from him.

"No, I heard you, sweetheart" he whispers softly, taking in every punch Bella was giving him.

Bella eventually stopped punching Peter and pulled back in frustration. Before Peter could say a word, Bella stopped him, raising a hand at him "Just don't."

Peter's eyes showed a hint of sadness. "Sweetheart...."

"I can't even look at you right now." Bella cried before darting out of the vault.

Peter didn't even stop her from leaving.

Bella was running. And she kept running until she reached the edge of Beacon Hills, near the cliff overlooking the town. As the anger filled up, she let out a loud roar. She then fell to her knees and sobbed. Bella was so furious that Peter would even team up with Kate just to get what he wanted.

Kate Argent. The woman that practically destroyed the Hale family seven years ago, killing everyone but a few. Kate is the reason the Hale family is so broken. The reason why Bella is broken. So emotionally damaged.  Bella was hurting. She couldn't believe that Peter would be so stupid to do this.  She couldn't believe that Peter would even consider doing this. All to get what he wanted.

Was the family money all that mattered to Peter or was something else in the works? Peter did say that he was planning on killing Kate when this was over. It would make Bella feel better about it, yes.

Knowing Peter, there's something more going on. Bella was determined to find out. She had to go at it alone. She didn't have anyone else to help her. She couldn't care less about Scott McCall and his pack. She wasn't ready to rely on  Derek yet. Bella had no choice but to trust herself and find out what else Peter was up to. Bella wanted to be able to trust Peter on this. But something tells her that she shouldn't.

Elsewhere, Kate returned to the sewer and found Peter waiting for her.

"You were right." Kate tells him "He's still alive."

"Thank god." Peter said, unenthusiastically