CHAPTER 90: Scared

Talia was right about that. Your children can often surprise you in the most unexpected ways. Bella continued to surprise Peter, more so in recent years. She had become so fragile and acted in ways that Peter had not expected. She's yet to mature.

She is fourteen years old now. Bella hasn't been a werewolf for long but so far, she shows promise. She still doesn't have the years of experience like Peter or Derek have. If Talia hadn't suppressed her abilities, Bella would have become a powerful werewolf by now. The general behavior alone shows her more like a new beta to an alpha. Most of the time, there had been times where she had been presented more as an omega. With Peter's blue eyes. Her status should have given her yellow eyes but yet, she had Peter's luminescent steel blue eyes instead. The strange thing is, Bella's never taken an innocent.

Peter tried to be the Alpha, despite his omega status, the teacher she needed but so far haven't made much progress. Bella did some things well by learning on her own but she's yet to experience the true werewolf nature. She participated in some fights, yes, but Bella is still not fully capable of defending herself, alone.

And look where she is now; lying in a hospital bed, healing from a wolfsbane bullet to the head.

Peter failed to protect her many times. He has himself to blame. It's been nearly eight years since their lives were turned upside down. Since he came out of the coma two years ago, Peter has attempted to be her father, only to have hit many obstacle courses along the way. Bella had surprised him many times by showing him complete loyalty when there were times that she shouldn't have. Peter didn't know why Bella stood by his side no matter what, after all that's happened. He didn't have a complete answer to that.

So many questions and no answers to them.

Was she afraid to lose what she had left of her family? Was she afraid to be alone? Why was she so scared?

Scared. Peter remembered all too well from the time he shifted in front of her for the first time, Bella was petrified.

*****************************************************

Bella was three years old. She was a very energetic child. Always running around and playing rough. This was at a time where she did not yet know about the Supernatural world. Peter and the other Hales haven't told her that they were werewolves, only because she wasn't like them.

One day, Bella wandered in the house and came upon the pack meeting in the dining room. She had run up behind Peter, grabbing his hand and yanking him.

"Daddy! Come play!" she cried

Peter looked down at her "I can't right now, sweetheart. Maybe later, okay?"

Bella pouted at Peter before running off. She had wanted to play outside.

When no one was watching and too engulfed into their meeting, Bella opened the front door and ran outside. She immediately runs for the swing that hangs from a tree in the front lawn. Giggling as she pushed herself on the swing, she didn't notice the mountain lion that was creeping up ahead.

And when she did, Bella was curious

"Big kitty." she giggled

The mountain lion snarled directly at Bella. She jumped off the swing and stopped to look at the predator ahead. She didn't seem to think that she was in any danger.

Bella played fully waved at the lion as it started moving towards her slowly. Bella, thinking that the lion wanted to play with her, starts moving towards it. And when she did, the lion started to get ready to pounce at the toddler.