Chapter 66: Leaving

Bella woke up. Her head was in Peter's lap. Peter was sleeping up with his head back against the wall. She pulled herself up, mine fuzzy on the details on the night before. Her movement woke Peter.

"Feeling better?" Peter scowled with drowsiness.

"Oh, so sorry." Bella smirked "Lock me up and torture me for it. Oh, wait."

"Brat." Peter huffed

"Jerk." Bella said, pressing her knees up against her chest.

Peter shot her a glare before rolling his eyes. He'd gotten through the past few weeks just by playing the nice father. If this keeps going, he may just have to become the bad guy.

"How much longer are we going to play this game, kiddo?" Peter asked

"For as long as it takes." Bella replied

Elsewhere, Fenris was growing impatient. He had hoped that Peter would have gotten through to his daughter by now. He had been watching both of them. Fenris swallowed hard, gripping the edge of the counter to hide the tremble in his hands. He's had enough. He had no choice but to attempt to force the child to be removed from the facility.

Back in the cell, Peter reclined against the wall, his eyes closed, and feet neatly crossed at the ankles, obviously doing his best to ignore Bella and her nervous fidgeting. The two of them just had another heated argument regarding Bella leaving Eichen.

Bella nudged the leg of the cot and watched Peter open an eye to glare at her when it wobbled precariously. Neither of them sat level anymore, even though they'd tried to 'fix' them from Bella's little tantrum.

"Would you stop?" Peter closed his eyes again, "it's going to happen and there's nothing we can do about it. It's over.

Peter's just had enough of Bella's stubbornness.

"What is it with teenagers?" Peter snarled at the ceiling, "You think you're so special. You think the story will somehow rewrite itself, that the world will miraculously zig instead of zag at the last moment to spare you, no matter how many times you've been proven wrong. Any time now the guards are going to come through those doors with tasers and iron and a whole passel of guards, and you will be dragged out of here whether I want you to or not. And I assure you, I do not."

Bella was taken aback "You want me to stay here?"

"No. I don't want you here." Peter said "I'd rather not see you forcibly dragged out."

Tears began to fill her eyes "You don't want me?"

"That's not what I meant and you know it!"

"Then what did you mean?!" Bella stared at him hard for a moment and swallowed hard. She knew Peter was right about most of it. Bella thought she'd given up hope a long time ago, but she kept finding one more line she didn't think would be crossed.

"Oh, please. Let's not have a moment," Peter snarled.

Bella is still scared and confused and overall out of her mind. They are damaged people. But if they can't be damaged together, how are they supposed to heal?

Before Bella could say anything, Fenris stood just outside the door, preparing to open the door. Bella glares at him before turning her eyes back towards Peter.

"You need to leave, kiddo." Peter tells her once more.

"No!" Bella cried

"Leave. Now!" Peter growled "I do not want you here."

Silently growling at Peter, she huffed in annoyance as she shook her head.

"I can't believe you." she said before turning to face Fenris as he opened the door to the cell.

Peter stood up from the bed as Fenris entered.

"Looks like you've got your wish." Bella said abruptly to Peter

"Come, child." Fenris took Bella by the shoulder and began to guide her out of the cell. Before they walked out, Peter called out to Bella

"Just know that I did this because I care, sweetheart."

Bella stopped in her tracks and slowly turned back to face Peter, giving him a glare.

"I hate you." was all she said before turning, slowly walking in front of Fenris as he closed the cell door behind them.

Peter managed to look mildly offended. Peter tried to pretend like he didn't hear her. But he did. As soon as the door closed, Peter growled in frustration and anger. He punched the wall many times until he bled. After that, he let out a loud roar, which was heard in the distance.

Upstairs, Fenris guides Bella to the front door, where they are met by Deaton.

"Hello, Bella." Deaton greeted

"Deaton. What do you want?" Bella replied coldly

"I am here to look after you."

"And why would you do that?"

"Because I promised your aunt Talia that I'd look after her family."

"Oh, you mean the same Aunt Talia that suppressed my wolf abilities when I was born? As far as I am concerned, she was no family to me."

"While you may feel that way, where else are you going to go?" Deaton asked "You have no one else. Derek is out of town..."

"Like I'd want anything to do with my dear cousin."

"Would you rather you'd be at a home with a complete stranger or a friend of the family?" Deaton asked

Bella said nothing. She realized that she had no choice but to go with Deaton. Bella silently agrees. But she really hopes she won't regret doing this. She can't take another disappointment.