Chapter 46: Chess Game

Bella sat on the couch in the apartment. She was pretending to read homework material for school when really, she was reading one of Peter's text books titled Evil Spirits. With the Oni wandering around down and Stiles being possessed by a dark spirit, she wanted to be prepared for what would happen.

Peter came from around the corner  putting his jacket on.

"Where are you going?" Bella asked, looking up from the book

"I am going to talk to Derek. You are going to stay here where it is safe." Peter told her, kissing her forehead

"Dad, I don't want to be alone." Bella told him. She wasn't particularly sure that something would happen to her, it was highly unlikely to be attacked by an Oni during the day but more worried about what Peter was going to do. Peter stopped for a moment. He tilted his head as he noticed the pages of the book she was reading.

Peter chuckled as he took the book from Bella's hands "I thought you were doing your homework."

"This was more interesting to learn." Bella looked down guiltily

Peter nods

"Bells, you can come if you want to. I will always make sure that you are safe, but I truly think it is a better idea to stay here. " Peter said sternly

"Nope." Bella said as she went to put her shoes on

Peter rolled his eyes as he shook his head "Stubborn."

Bella heard that "A trait I got from you, old man."

"Old man, is it? I am appalled!" Peter mocked

Bella laughed, "And you can be so hard headed."

"Oh really?" Peter smirked as he ruffled his daughter's hair

"Hey stop it." Bella laughed as she attempted to fix her hair.

"And you call me hard headed?" Peter smirked as he kissed her forehead again.

They left the apartment and made their way to Derek's loft. They went inside to see Derek setting up a chess board. Peter walked up behind him and see that Derek was bloodied

"What are you doing? And more importantly, why aren't you healing?" Peter asked walking around him

Derek looks at the wound on his shoulder "It's from one of their swords, it'll heal."

"By playing chess?" Peter asked condescendingly

"Back in his room, Stiles had a board with my name on one of the pieces. If this is a game to him, I need to figure out the plays" Derek said 

"Not easy to do when it's a game without rules." Peter replied

Derek looked up at Peter looking worried "What does that mean?"

"You're dealing with the kind of spirit that's lived too long to play by human rules. It's a fox spirit that chose to become human and supposedly that's something they can only do after about a hundred years. If a Kitsune is an annoying pain in the ass than a Nogitsune which is a dark Kitsune, is a freaking disaster."

Bella thought back to the book she was reading back at the apartment

"Besides, chess is Stiles' game." Peter continued as he was putting his jacket back on "Not the game of a Japanese fox. Do yourself a favor and put something on that. Before it gets infected."

Peter gave Bella the 'let's go' glance. She got up and followed Peter out of the loft and went back home.

Later the next day, Peter got a surprise call from Lydia asking for his help.