CHAPTER 56: Unlikely Family Reunion

The next 24 hours were worrisome for Bella. She just found out that she is on the Dead pool. She was scared to think that at any moment, someone could seriously harm or kill her for being supernatural and make money off of it. Peter assured her that it would never happen.

By the next night, Peter left the apartment. Bella, being curious, decided to follow her father. She could tell that he was plotting. More than that, he was scheming. Bella could tell, and not knowing what he was planning, not knowing, was terrifying.

Bella follows Peter in hopes to find out what he is up to, only to follow him to the Hale Vault near the high school. She began to wonder why Peter was going to the vault. As Bella got closer, she picked up another but familiar scent nearby, coming from inside the vault.

"I've got to get a better safe," Peter said with a sigh. "I can't let you leave with that."

"Maybe you won't have a choice." said the voice of Malia

"Is that right?" Peter said

"I think I could take you." Malia said

"You've heard rumors I'm not as strong as I used to be."

"Something like that." Malia said with a smirk

Peter then punched the wall behind him and broke some of the stone off of it. With that sound, Belal rushed down to the vault, thinking that there was danger.

Peter sighed as he saw Bella "You really need to work on your stealth, sweetheart. I knew you were following me."

"You knew?" Bella asked, furrowing her eyebrows

"Please, I could pick up your scent from behind me. Sloppy for someone trying to sneak around."

"You're the one that's sneaking around." Bella told him

"I have my reasons." Peter said, looking back at Malia.

"What's even going on here?" Bella asked

"It seems like Malia came for that." Peter said, pointing at the folder in Malia's hand

"What's that?" Bella asked

"It's her adoption record." Peter replied

Malia looked down at the folder she was holding and went to hand it to Peter.

"I said I couldn't let you leave with it. I didn't say you couldn't read it. " Peter tells her

Malia then started to look through the folder. She eventually sets it down after reading it.

"Wanna talk about it? See a family counselor." Peter asked Malia

"There's nothing in here." Malia said, referring to the file

"Cost me a lot of money to get that file." Peter said

"You got ripped off."

Malia was about to leave when Peter spoke.

"You know what happens when you only hear one side of the story?" Peter said "You've only heard one side of the story."

"You murdered people. Not killed. Murder." Malia said

"They were extenuating circumstances."

"Like what? The fire?"

"A fire that nearly burned me alive. Six years in a coma. Do you know what it's like for one of us? It's not a pleasant sleep. Imagine it. Being trapped in your body, but still being fully cognizant. Unable to do anything other than listen to your one thoughts slowly driving you absolutely and totally insane, Minute by minute, day by day. Yes, I've done horrible, terrible things. And so have a lot of people. And horrible, terrible things are going to keep happening. Especially when there's a dead pool with yours and Bella's name on it."