CHAPTER 33: Derek's Past

A few days later, everyone finds out that Derek is alive and well. But the problem is that he disappeared.

Kali had went to the loft after kidnapping a teacher, named Ms. Blake, forcing Kali and Derek to fight each other. But Kali gets the upper hand and impales Boyd on Derek's claws, killing him.

Kali warns Derek that he has until the next full moon to join the pack or else. But Derek takes off from and no one has seen him since.

Stikes met with Cora, Peter and Bella at the loft. Cora started telling a story of what happened to Derek many years ago when he was a teenager, being hunted by hunters.

Peter had found and rescued a young Derek and they hid in a distillery while being hunted.

"They were there for two days. Waiting, hiding." said Cora "That's what we're taught to do when the hunters find us, hide and heal."

"Okay, so is two days standard then, or are we thinking Derek's on some extended getaway?" Stiles asked

"Why do you care?" Cora asked

"Why do I care?" said Stiles "Let's see-because over the last few weeks, my best friend's tried to kill himself. His boss nearly got ritually sacrificed. A girl that I've known since I was three wawa ritually sacrificed. Boyd was killed by Alphas. Do you want me to keep going? Because I can, for an hour."

"You think Derek can do anything about that?" asked Cora

"Well, since he's the one everyone seems to be after, it's more like he should do something about it, yeah."

"I don't know." said Cora "There's something different about him now. He wasn't like this when we knew him."

"What was he like?" Stiles asked

"I remember him being kind and not as angry." Bella said

"A lot like Scott, actually" Peter said, coming down the spiral stairs "A lot like most teenagers. Unbearably romantic, profoundly narcissistic, tolerable really only to other teenagers."

"So what happened? What changed him?" Stiles asked

"Well, the same thing that changed a lot of young men...a girl."

"You're telling me some girl broke his little heart?" Stiles asked "That's why Derek is the way he is?"

"Do you remember Derek before he was an alpha, had blue eyes?" Peter turned to ask Cora "Do you know why some wolves have blue eyes?"

"I just always thought that it was a genetics thing."  said Stiles.

"If you want to know what changed Derek, you need to know what changed the color of his eyes." said Peter 

Peter started telling the story of how Derek fell in love with a girl named Paige in his sophomore year of high school.

"So if Derek was a sophomore back then, how old was he? How old are you? How old are you now?" Stiles asked Peter who was sitting on the couch besides Bella

Bella holds back a laugh

"Not as young as we could have been." said Peter "But now as old as you might think."

"Okay. That was frustratingly vague." Stiles said as he turns towards Cora "How old are you?"

"I'm 17" Cora replied

"See, that's an answer. That's how we answer people.  And I know for a fact that Bella is twelve."

"Well 17 is how you measure in years." said Cora