CHAPTER 32: Deucalion's Spy

When Bella returned home from the encounter at the loft, she was frantic, which Peter noticed. Bella told Peter what happened when she got to Derek's. How Deucalion showed up. Peter was upset at the situation but was relieved that Bella wasn't hurt.

"There's something that Deucalion said that I can't get out of my head." Bella told Peter

"What's that?" he asked

"Deucalion. He asked me why I haven't used my wolf abilities. He seemed surprised to hear that I was human, like it didn't sit right with him. He acted like I was supposed to show off."

"He's a psychopath." said Peter "Don't believe a word he says."

"It was almost like he knew something."

"Just promise me something," Peter said, placing a hand on Bella's shoulder "No matter what he says about you, me or the family, you won't believe any of it. He is a liar and a manipulator. He will do anything to achieve his goals no matter the cost. Deucalion says he is looking out for new talents, that worries me. Makes me afraid that he'd be crazy enough to do something to you. Promise me that you won't believe a word he says."

Bella nods "I promise."

But Bella never forgot what Deucalion said to her.

A few nights later, Scott, Derek, Isaac, Boyd, and Cora fight Deucalion and the alpha pack at the abandoned mall. The fight ended in tragedy Derek and Ennis fell down a few stories onto an elevator. Derek has seemingly died

Bella got emotional and felt a tremendous amount of guilt and grief for Derek. He was her cousin. They left things heated between them.

Peter went to the abandoned mall the next day after dropping Bella off at school to inspect the area and found Cora looking for answers too. Peter accidentally startles Cora

"It's just me, your uncle. Uncle Peter."

"Uncle Peter who killed sister Laura." Cora said back

"Not my finest hour, no. But I'm hardly the only dysfunctional family member. Did Derek mention that he killed me too? Slashed my throat, ear to ear."

"So that means I should trust you?" Cora asks

Actually, I'm wondering if I can trust you" Peter says

"You've known me for 17 years."

"I knew you for 11. Leaving the last six unaccounted for. And I'm not particularly fond of things unaccounted."

"What are you doing here?" Cora asked

"Same as you-wondering where the bodies went. Wondering if they were carried out, or maybe if one of them managed to find enough strength to push himself up off the floor and walk out, leaving the two of us standing here to answer the all important question."

"Which one?" said Cora

At school, Bella was at lunch when she spotted the boy staring at her menacingly again. Feeling uncomfortable, she left the cafeteria and wandered the halls, unaware that the boy would follow her. Bella could feel his presence behind her. She turned around to face him

"Will you just leave me alone?" Bella said angrily

"Now why would I do that?" the boy asked

"Because I asked nicely" Bella said sarcastically

"You know, I never did introduce myself. I'm Sam."

"And I don't care. Stop looking at me and following me"

"I can't do that" Sam said

"And why not?"

"Because Deucalion says so."

Bella froze upon hearing Deucalion's name.

"He's had me watch you. Waiting to see what abilities you possess. The wait has been painful, seeing as you show no abilities."

"Because I have none!" Bella shouted

Sam shook his head "Not according to Deucalion."

"Deucalion is a liar." Bella snapped

"And who told you that? Peter? That's just sad. Wonder what he'll have to say about all this."

"Just leave us alone!"

"Peter has to know about what you have suppressed inside you, doesn't he? It's a shame that he would keep such secrets from his daughter" Sam taunted as he moved closer towards Bella

"Stop it."

"You have a gift and it's yet to reveal itself. We can force it to awaken within you."

"Leave me alone!" Bella yells and she runs away towards the girl's bathroom to hide. She went into a stall and began to have a panic attack. She dug her phone out to call Peter.

Peter was with Cora spying on Deucalion and his pack of Alphas outside of Deaton's clinic.

"An animal clinic?" Cora asked

"It's not as ordinary as it looks." Peter told her "The building's half made out of mountain ash. I'm not exactly sure how to get in."

"Maybe we can do what normal people would do and go knock on the door." Cora said before Peter held her back

"They're here." Peter said

"Who?"

'All of them."

"How do we know who's in there? Is it Derek or Ennis or both?" Cora asked

The door to the clinic opened and Peter and Cora duck behind a car. Kali roars in anger.

"We know one thing." said Peter "That wasn't for Derek."

Peter and Cora took off to avoid being seen. Back at his car, Peter got a call from Bella.

"Hey sweetheart" Peter said as he answered the phone

"Dad! I need you." Bella cried

"What's wrong?"

"I need you to get me right now." she sobs

"Bells, calm down. What happened? Are you hurt?" Peter asked sounding worried

"Deucalion has one of his members here, posing as a student!"

"I'm on my way."

Bella stayed in the bathroom stall as she waited for Peter to come and get her. A teacher came in after hearing the commotion outside in the halls between Bella and Sam. The teacher tried to help but Bella refused to leave the stall.

Peter arrived within minutes and was already met by teachers at the front door of the school to escort him to where Bella was. Bella heard Peter's voice just outside the door and darted into his arms.

"What happened?" he asked

"He wouldn't leave me alone!"

"Who?"

"He said his name was Sam. He's been staring at me for weeks. I never knew why until now."

Peter's face grew angry. He was furious. How dare Deucalion send someone to spy on his child.