CHAPTER 91: The Truth

Two years had passed since the unfortunate incident with the mountain lion. Bella was now five years old. At this point, she knows about her family being werewolves and that there are supernatural beings in the world. She didn't know much but enough for her small mind to comprehend.

One day, Bella went to look for Peter in the house. He was in the study. She walked over to the study and knocked on the door first hearing Peter's voice saying to come in. Bella went in and saw him reading a book.

"Hey kiddo"

Bella smiled at her father before climbing onto the chair he was sitting in and sat on his lap.

"What are you reading?" Bella sweetly asked

"Just some book." Peter said, closing the book and tossing it on the coffee table. He then wrapped his arms around Bella, cuddling with her. "What are you up to?"

"Nothing."

Peter ruffled her hair, smiling. 

"Daddy?"

Peter looked down at her "Hmmm?"

"Will I ever become a werewolf?" Bella once again asked.

Bella asked this question over a hundred times since she found out that her family were werewolves. She was eager to become one herself and was waiting impatiently. Peter started to regret not telling her the truth sooner but Bella was still too young to understand it. Peter's not even sure she's old enough to understand it now.

"I don't know." he flat out told her.

"You tell me that every time, daddy." Bella looked up at him with her big blue eyes, looking almost sad.

Peter could sense her confusion. He then changed the topic and told Bella to run along and play. Bella leaves the room disappointed. After a few minutes, Talia walked into the study.

"When are you going to stop lying to her?" she asked Peter

"I will tell her the truth when she is ready." Peter said

"Why not now? If anything, it would be much better to tell her now than when she is older. You'll come to regret it if you tell her later"

"What do you want me to say, Talia? 'Sorry, kiddo. You're not a werewolf like the rest of us'?" Peter said sarcastically "Talia, this is my daughter we are talking about. This will kill her."

"Not if she understands that she stands out from the rest of us." Talia said " Bella is already special for just being her. Peter, she knows how much you love her. Do you really want her to hate you for keeping this from her?"

"Of course not. I'm just trying to protect her. That's all I ever wanted." Peter argued

"And do you think shielding Bella from the truth will help at all?" Talia asked "It will only bring more pain. Not just for her but for you as well. Peter, if you won't tell her, I will."

Peter got up from the chair abruptly and flashed his yellow eyes "Don't you dare!"

"I will if I have to, Peter."

"She's my daughter! Not yours! I will tell her! I will be the one to tell her that she doesn't have any werewolf abilities!"

A small gasp was heard outside the door. The sound of small footsteps were heard running away. Peter quickly opened the door and caught sight of his daughter running upstairs.

Peter growls in frustration "Just perfect! Thanks a lot, Talia. You got what you wanted. Happy now?"

Peter runs after his young daughter. He ran up to her room only to see the door closed and became locked from the other side. He could have easily broken down the door but he knew that wouldn't have helped anything. Instead, he just sits down beside her bedroom door.  Peter can hear her little heart beating like crazy and he can smell her silent tears. He can't imagine what his own daughter must think of him right now.  Peter felt horrible and angry at the same time.

He waits until her heart slows slightly before he speaks through the door.

"Pup, I promise you, I wanted to tell you. I just didn't want to hurt you.I knew from the moment you were born that you weren't a werewolf and that's okay. Really, it is."  Peter knows he sounds desperate but it's only because he didn't want Bella to think badly of him. "Sweetheart, I wanted to tell you the moment you found out about us but I just couldn't. You were too little at the time. I just didn't want to disappoint you. I let you down and for that I am sorry."

Silence filled the air

"Bella, just because you aren't a werewolf, doesn't mean you aren't less special. You are unique in your own way. Human, werewolf, it doesn't matter. You are no less of a Hale than I am. I couldn't care less. You are the most amazing kid  I know and you have no idea how much I love you just by having you be you. Just having you for a daughter means the world to me."

There are a few shuffling sounds and her heartbeat gets closer until he can feel her on the other side of the door.

"Why did you lie?" Bella sounded scared and it broke Peter's heart.

"Honestly, I just wanted to spare you from the pain of knowing you don't have any power. I was trying to protect you and I thought you weren't ready at the time. I see that as a mistake now. Kiddo, I swear I won't keep secrets from you again. If that is what it takes to get you to come out and talk to me, I swear."

Peter stays seated when the door opens and her blue eyes, still red from crying, look at him seriously as she holds out her hand, pinkie extended. Peter laughed a little and connected their pinkies. Bella then sat down on Peter's lap. He places his arms around her and just held her close, with Bella's own arms clinging to him.