CHAPTER 44: Take Control

Belle let Peter sleep as he must've been up all night worrying about her. She was still feeling cold. She tried to get up from the couch. Peter eventually stirred from his spot. He eventually looked over and saw his daughter awake and trying to get up.

"Hey." Bella said

Peter sat up further. "Hey, sweetheart. How are you feeling?"

"I'm cold, actually."

"Oh, yeah. The entire town lost power. We have no heat or anything worth working right now." Peter explained

"Oh." Bella said suddenly, recalling the events of last night. "It was him, wasn't it?"

Peter looked confused "Who?

"That killer." she said painfully. "What was his name? Barrow?"

She could tell that Peter was watching her from the corner of his eye with concern "Why would he even take me? How did he even know?"

Bella looked down at her hands, tears streaming down her face. Peter took notice

"What's wrong?" He asked, scooting closer to her,

Bella leaned against her father and simply "I could have died. And I couldn't do anything to stop him. "

Peter frowned, hugging his daughter tight. His worst fear could have happened last night and he is grateful that it didn't. If he hadn't come back to Beacon Hills on time, he's not sure what he would have done.

"Where were you when I needed you?" she cried as she forced herself off the couch  "You were gone for weeks and I spent all this time not knowing where you were and if you were okay. I didn't know if you were dead or alive! I almost died last night but knowing what happened to you is what could've killed me. I worry all the time. I am scared all the time. I was in so much pain last night and you weren't there. You promised that you would be there to help me and you weren't."

This broke Peter's heart.  "Honey, I'm so sorry."

"Are you?"

"Yes. I love you more than anything in this world and nothing will ever change that. Do you understand?" he asked standing in front of her, pulling her to face him so he could look her in her tear filled eyes. "I know I haven't exactly been father of the year. But I am trying."

'Then try harder!" Bella said angrily enough to the point that she shifted out of control. Peter grabbed ahold of Bella to try and calm her down

'Listen to me. Find your anchor. Take control. Don't let your anger control you!"

The two of them were practically on the floor at this point

Bella was fuming. Her breathing was so deep and heavy, She was so angry that she wanted to hurt Peter. She wanted to hurt her own father. Bella tried to pull back, only for Peter to hold her closer. Bella locked her eyes back to Peter and growled "Let me go!"

"No." Peter said simply

"What are you doing? Let me go!" Bella screamed at Peter

"You aren't going anywhere until you calm down and shift back to you, the daughter I know is still in there" Peter said

"I can't!" Bella cried as she dug her nails into his arms. As soon as she saw the blood from Peter's arm, Bella realized her mistake

"Dad...I'm sorry." Bella whimpered in fear, holding the four puncture wounds with her hand. Peter just wrapped his arms around his frightened child.

"It's okay, sweetheart. It's going to be okay." Peter said, rocking her back and forth "This is what I am trying to show you. You could seriously hurt someone you don't mean to if you get angry. You just need to stay calm."

"How?" Bella asked

"You think of something. Anything that will keep your mind calm. Focus on that. I know you can do this."

It stayed quiet for a while until Bella shifted back on her own. Peter broke the silence

"You did so much better than I thought you would, kiddo." Peter said

Bella could tell that she was back to normal.

"What did you think about to keep yourself calm?" Peter asked

"You." Bella said simply "Our family. Whatever good memories I had of....I guess you, dad, are my anchor. The one person that could pull me out of it. Who else could do that?"

A few moments passed before Bella spoke again "Dad, I'm really sorry. I'm sorry for how I handled things, for yelling at you, blaming you for things and I'm sorry about your arm..." Her voice held a large amount of sadness and guilt

"Look, Bells. It's nearly healed" Peter showed her his arm. It had already scabbed over and they were already smaller wounds than before. Peter smiled at her as he took her hand. "And don't worry about lashing out when your anger takes over, it happens."

"But how will I ever get control of my anger? The sudden shifting?"

"It just takes time and patience." Peter told her "I want you to go back and think of the night Derek, you know, killed me."

"What? Why...?" Bella asked confusedly

"Just trust me. Get angry. Try and shift."

Bella closed her eyes and took herself to the night Derek had killed her father. She could feel herself change. He could feel her anger building up.

"Now think of me." Peter tells her.

But she couldn't. She got angrier. She growled.

"BELLA!" Peter growed at her and immediately, Bella was back to normal. Bella wasn panting heavily as she looked up at Peter with tears in her eyes.

"We'll work on that." Peter said, pulling Bella into a hug. "I think that you will have no problem shifting when you want or need to. It'll be changing back that is going to take time."