The Moonstone

"Marni, wake up."

I opened my eyes to find Damon shaking my arm.

"What time is it?" I asked, yawning. I looked outside to see the familiar surroundings of our garage. We were home.

"It's around eleven," he said. I yawned again and hopped out of the car. When I closed the door, I noticed something. People yelling.

I looked over at Damon. "That's not good."

I went inside and followed the sound of yelling.

I walked into the living room and found Katherine and Stefan at each others throats. Figeratively speaking. Alaric was there also, looking back and forth between Katherine and Stefan.

"Why the hell didn't you tell us this?" Stefan yelled.

"What's going on?" I asked. They turned to us.

They obviously hadn't noticed that we were there.

"Ask her," Stefan spat.

I looked to Katherine.

"Who's life did you ruin now?" Damon asked.

"Ha, ha," Katherine said, glaring at him.

"Go on Katherine," Stefan said. "Tell them why you're really here,"

"Oh yes Katherine," Damon said. "Do tell,"

"Very well then," she said. "I'm here for the moonstone,"

"Moonstone?" I asked, unfamilliar with the term.

"Ask Alaric," Katherine said.

All heads turned to him.

"While you two were away," Alaric said, looking at me and Damon. "Stefan and I went to my late wife, Isobel's office at Duke University. Isobel studied the supernatural, she became obsessed with it. I thought it was all nonsense at the time, but as we all know, it wasn't. With the help of her assistant, Vanessa, we went through her research. The moonstone its self looked a bit like a bar of soap. Have you ever heard of The Sun and The Moon Curse?"

I shook my head.

"Well, The Sun and The Moon Curse is a curse a great shaman cast 600 years ago. Since then, werewolves can only turn on a full moon and vampires are weakened by the sun, making werewolves servants of the moon and vampires slaves to the sun."

"Wait, wait, wait," Damon said. "Werewolves?"

"Yes, werewolves," Alaric said.

"Werewolves don't exist," Damon said.

"Yes, actually, they do," Alaric said. "Witches and vampires are, so why not werewolves?"

"If werewolves exist," Damon said. "Where the hell have they been for the past century and a half? I think I would've come across one of them by now."

"Well, you wouldn't have," Alaric said. "Vampires hunted werewolves to a near extinction in fear of their lives."

"You don't see us running around killing witches," Damon said, gesturing to me. "So why would we kill werewolves?"

"Because a bite from a werewolf can kill a vampire,"

"Oh," he said. "Now I get it."

"Anyway," I said. "What has this got to do with Katherine?"

"She wants the moonstone so she can break the curse," Stefan said.

"So?" I asked.

"Katherine, why don't you tell them how you break the curse," Stefan said.