Emotions

I woke to the sound of worried voices.

"Is she okay?"

"She's been out for hours."

"It was a big spell, it took a lot out of her."

"How come it didn't effect Shadow?"

"It did. I'm half vampire so it wasn't as bad on me, I'm still very week though."

"I hope she'll be alright."

"She'll pull through."

"I wonder if Damon's alright."

It was like my eyes were sealed shut with sleep.

Why wouldn't Damon be alright? Did something bad happen?

Desperate to know what was going on, I pried my eyes open. I was lying in my bed.

"She's awake."

Five worried eyes met mine.

"What happened?" I asked.

"You collapsed after the spell because-" Shadow begun.

"No." I said impatiently. "I don't care about that. What happened with the whole tomb thing? Did Damon get Katherine?"

Everybody went quiet.

"Damon and Anna went into the tomb, and Anna got her mother Pearl out, they're in Anna's room now, but..." Stefan hesitated. "Katherine wasn't in there."

I felt the blood drain from my face.

"Where's Damon?" I asked.

"He's in his room. He said he wanted to be alone." Elena said.

Without a word I got out of bed and pushed past everyone.

"Marni." Stefan said, grabbing my arm.

"I have to see if he's alright." I said.

He nodded and let go.

I left the room and walked up the hallway, to Damon's room.

I opened the door quietly.

Damon's room was big, it had a kingsized bed in the corner and a bookshelf. There was a large bathroom connecting to the room that had dark walls and a white marbe bathtub.

Damon himself was standing by his window with his back to me.

"Damon?" I said, breaking the silence.

He didn't respond.

I crossed the room and stood infront of him.

He ignored me and continued staring out of the window.

His face was full of pain and agony.

"She wasn't there." he mumbled. "Anna said that she had seen her in Chicago, years back, and she knew where I was the whole time. She didn't even care."

I moved forward and hugged him tightly.

He didn't respond at first, but then he slowly hugged me back and burried his face in my shoulder.

I felt a surge of hate course through me. How dare Katherine do this to Damon. She had already broken his heart once, and now she had done it again. If I ever see Katherine again, I will kill her personally.

Damon pulled back from the hug and walked over to his bedside table and picked up a glass of what appeared to be bourbon.

"You know what the funny thing is?" he asked, smiling bitterly. "I actually cared about her. Loved her even, and this is me, Damon Salvatore, we're talking about. I'm not meant to care about anything. But I did. And now look where it got me."