The Day The Sharpener Coughed

We had been searching for months, and we couldn't find who we were looking for anywhere. The only thing we knew for sure, was that he was still in the country.

"Stupid, moronic, irritating asshole!" I muttered angrily as Klaus and I got back in the car, after searching the whole of San Francisco. We'd been here for two days, and our last suspicion of where he might be in the city was wrong. "Why can't this guy be normal and be easy to find!"

I glared out the window as Klaus turned the key in the ignition and drove off, breaking the speed limit already.

"Where to now?" I asked.

"Chicago," Klaus answered.

"Great, another dead end," I muttered.

"I have a feeling this one will be different," Klaus murmured.

"If it's not, I'm going to kill everyone within a ten mile radius," I said.

"I think I'm rubbing off on you," Klaus said.

"Oh please, I've been threatening to kill people since I could talk," I said. "So what's this guys name anyway?"

"Don't know actually," he said. "Didn't care to. As long as we get the information we need, that's all that matters."

I hadn't been to Chicago since the 1920's. I had been looking for Stefan, and found him with a group of women, each of them having bitemarks on their bodies.

*flashback*

My heels clicked as I walked down the hallway towards the apartment I had heard Stefan was living in. I heard laughter and talking. I stopped outside the door, curious about what I was about to find. I hadn't seen Stefan in a few years.

I twisted the door handle and pushed it open, walking in. Music was playing in the background, and Stefan was sitting on a couch, five girls crowded around him. Stefan was in the middle of biting one of their wrists, and he looked up when the door opened.

"Marni!" he said cheerfully. "What a nice surprise."

"Hello Stefan," I said, keeping the disgust off my face. "Can I have a word?"

"Sure," he said. He made no move to send the girls away.

"Alone," I said.

"Don't worry, they're great at keeping secrets," Stefan smirked.

I sighed and waited.

"Ugh, you're such a buzz kill," he muttered with an eye roll. "Alright ladies. As fun as this has been, it has to stop here. Go home, forget me and this place."

The girls pouted but did what he asked. When the door closed behind them I turned to Stefan.

"Long time no see," I said.

He shrugged. "I was preoccupied."

"Right, right," I said, nodding my head. "Preoccupied with the whole 'ripper' thing. The nickname suits you, considering you literally rip your victims apart."

Stefan sighed. "You're not here to try and convince me to switch to animal blood like Lexi did, are you? Because that stuff tastes horrible, and drinking from humans is so much more fun."

"No, that's not why I'm here," I said, slightly amused at the thought of Stefan hunting a bunny.

"Good," Stefan said. "Sit down, have a drink."