The Game

I had snuck into the school the other night and had gone through all the schools files. I memorised who everyone was and what they're like. 

I know, I know, creepy right? But it was necessary. One of the first files I had read was Jeremy Gilbert's. I had found out that his parents had died last spring, and that he wasn't doing too well in school.  

I had been thinking about this when I heard someone call my name. 

"Marni, wait up!" I turned around to find Stefan walking up to me. 

"Hey Stefan," I said. "Did you hear about the soccer game?"  

"Yes, actually, I did." 

"Are you gunna play?" 

"Hmm... I dunno..." he said. 

"Oh, come on." I said. "You know you want to." 

"Fine, but if I make someone cry it's your fault." 

"I'm pretty sure I'm gunna be the one to make people cry." I said. 

"Okay, let's go." Stefan said.

There was a crowd of about fifty people on the oval, and a lot more than that watching. 

On my team there was me, Stefan, Jeremy, a guy called Matt Donovan, and half of the football team. 

On the other team there was the other half of the football team, some other guys and Tyler Lockwood. Tyler Lockwood was the school jerk. He reckoned he could get all the girls and being on the football team, he probably could. 

Naturally, I was the only girl playing. All the other girls were on the sidelines watching. 

I went up front, knowing that I was a good player. Stefan and Matt were on either side of me. 

"Well, well." I heard Tyler Lockwood say. "What do we have here? A new girl, huh? And what would a girl with such a pretty face be doing playing a dirty game like this? Wouldn't want to break a nail would you?" he said. A few people laughed. 

"Are you retarded?" I asked, raising one eyebrow. 

A lot more people laughed this time. It worked every time. Whenever someone says something like that, you don't rage at them, you simply ask them if they're retarded. I heard Stefan laugh under his breath, "Nicely done." he said. 

"Feisty little one are we?" he asked. 

"No, just asking a serious question. And I'm thinking that the answer to that question is yes." I said, shaking my head sadly. 

"Not afraid to stand up for yourself." He said. "I like that. You don't see many girls that do these days." 

I looked over to the sidelines to see some of the plastic girls glaring at me. I laughed. 

"So, maybe you'd like to chill with me one time?" he said, like it was the most privileged thing to be asked in the world. 

I turned around and saw Jeremy frowning and looking down 

"How's about... No?" I said. I looked back at Jeremy and saw his expression light up. He met my eyes and I smiled. 

"And why not?" Tyler asked. I could tell he was getting frustrated. 

"Because I'm not into smart ass, jerks like you." I said as sweetly as I could. I heard Jeremy laugh from behind me. 

"Shut up Gilbert." Tyler said to Jeremy. "I have a better chance with her than you do." 

"I wouldn't be too sure of that if I were you." I said. I heard people go "Ooooh." 

"You really know how to hurt a guy don't you?" he asked.