Family Barbeque

"Really?" I asked.

Bree nodded.

"Well, that just makes this more fun doesn't it," I said.

"No," said Stefan, shaking his head. "You're not going through with this."

"What are the odds of me surviving?" I asked.

"Not good," Bree said. "But you're different. You are a very powerful witch, and you've lived for more then a century, so I'd say there is a fifty fifty chance that you will live."

"See Stefan?" I said. "There is a fifty fifty chance that I will live."

"Marni," Bree said, "What you're planning to do is suicide. There is a high possibility that the amount of death magic you need to use will take your life. You are my friend Marni, and I don't want you to get hurt, let alone killed. And besides, there is no way in hell that Damon would let you try and kill yourself."

"That is precisely why both of you aren't going to tell him," I said.

"I think we should tell Damon," Stefan said. "That way you might not get yourself killed."

"Me doing this means Elena is safe for now," I said. "Stefan, do you want Elena to live or not?"

"Of course I want her to live, but not at this extent," Stefan said.

"Stefan, I have forty-eight hours to find another way to kill Klaus," I said. "I just found it."

"Then we'll find another way," he said.

"We don't have time," I said.

"I'm not letting you do this," he said.

"You don't have a choice," I said. "It's either this or Elena dies."

"You could die!" he said.

"Stefan," I said, getting frustrated. "You are missing the bigger picture here. Elijah gave me forty-eight hours. If every thing works out the way I've planned it to, no one has to die."

"What are you going on about?" Stefan asked, frowning in confusion.

"I have a plan," I said.

"What is it?" he asked.

"I can't tell you," I said.

"Why not?"

"Because there is a chance that you might tell Damon, and it is almost inevitable that Damon would screw up my plan if he knew about it," I said. "Stefan, you have to trust me with this. I'll be fine."

He hesitated. "Fine. But if Damon finds out I'm not helping you when he tries to kill you."

"Fair enough," I said.

Stefan was quiet on the ride back home.

"Stefan," I said. "Stop worrying. You're starting to get another frown line because of it."

He rolled his eyes at my joke.

"I'll be fine," I said.

"Until you get killed, that is," he said.

"Seriously," I said. "Don't worry, I'll be fine. I'm getting sick of your serious vampire look."

"I have a look for that?" he asked, raising his eyebrow.

"Yes, it's different from your I'm going to kill you Damon vampire look or your Ooh yum! Bunnies! vampire look," I said.

He laughed.