Chapter 67

The finals match had lasted for four hours. By the time it concluded, it was already eleven at night. The team coordinator Tang Can had everyone get back into their team car, but the car didn't go straight back to the HQ. Instead, the car stopped outside one of the capital's most well-known seafood buffets.

Lin Feng smiled and said, “Everyone's been working pretty hard lately. Tonight we'll be rewarding you all with a late-night meal!”

A wave of impassioned cheers rippled through the car. The players filed out of the car one after another, then made their way into a room that had been reserved in advance. Unexpectedly, they saw two familiar faces there.

Qu Jiang instantly ran up, overjoyed. “Old Nie, Ning!”

Old Nie gave him a big hug. “Tang Can-jie called us over. We'll be mooching some food off you guys tonight, haha!”

Song Yu'ning said, “We came back to watch the finals tonight and figured it would be the perfect time to meet up with everyone. It's been a while.”

Chi Shuo walked up and greeted the two of them. Old Nie smiled merrily and said, “Captain Chi, won't you introduce your team's new member?”

Chi Shuo turned back and looked at Ye Shaoyang, who stood next to him. He introduced, “This is the streamer Xiao Bai, Ye Shaoyang.”

Old Nie extended a hand. “Hello!”

Ye Shaoyang shook hands and greeted the two of them. They were already friends on WeChat, but it was their first time meeting in person. These two were quite friendly towards Ye Shaoyang. They'd even sent him tens of thousands of yuan in gifts through Xiao Bai's streaming room.

After the two of them retired from Tianhuan, Old Nie stayed in the capital. He'd decided to change careers and become a gaming streamer. Ning said his plan was to go home and open a small business that specialized in selling gaming peripherals. Their lives in retirement were pretty full of flavor.

Coach Lin took in the sight of all these happy players. He smiled as he entered the room and said, “S9 is already over, but there's no need for anyone to think too much tonight. Just focus on relaxing tonight, and eat to your heart's content. It's the coach's treat!”

Everyone swiftly ran off to serve themselves some food. Ye Shaoyang returned with a heaping plate of seafood. He put on a pair of gloves and started to peel shrimp while he asked, “Jingzhe and Binghun will be going to compete in the world championships next, right?”

Coach Lin nodded. “Mm. The first and second place teams from the domestic division go to the world championships every year.”

Ye Shaoyang curiously asked, “Does every division send two teams?”

“Each division is a different size, so they have varying numbers of slots as well,” Coach Lin explained. “China, North America, Europe, Korea, and Southeast Asia—these divisions have more teams and players, so they have a fixed two spots every year. The division who wins the previous world championship tournament will be given an extra spot. Africa, Latin America—these divisions have fewer teams, so they have one fixed spot per year.

“That adds up to a total of thirteen teams. The remaining three spots at the world championships are filled by teams from the Wildcard division.”

At that point, Chi Shuo quietly added, “Wildcard games begin every year in November. The tournament isn't divided by regional divisions. Any professional team in the league, from any division, can pay to participate in the tournament and fight for a spot at the world championships. The competition is very fierce.”